• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

poly-bagging The AAW Journal

Thought I'd bring this subject to its own space since there has been talk of the arrival of shredded AAW Journals in other posts.
This week I received two poly-bagged periodicals.
1) American Craft. It has an extra front full length cover running half its width. The extra cover came through ripped / mangled. Poly bag showed NO sign of tear or puncture.
2) Adobe Photoshop Elements Techniques came through in less than collectible condition. The integrity of that bag also remained intact!

Last edited:
Penn State/MCLS catalogs came well contained in poly yesterday. Rural routes are not generally too kind to unbagged magazines. They look like the baby already "read" them to her stuffed toys when they get here. I don't keep my magazines in binders, so they do suffer a bit after arrival. Guess it would be nice not to have them arrive that way.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Bob, that is very interesting. I have no trouble with any of the magazines delivered. I guess I am lucky to have good post offices along the way. I am definitely in a rural area.

Last edited:
R

Ron Sardo

I too live in a rural area, my magazines come in new condition.

Talk to your post master, if he doesn't help, talk to his supervisor.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mine go through spells. I get about 15 magazines some monthly and some only 4 to 6 times a year. Some are paper bound, some are plastic bound and about 2/3 come just like you get them from the bookstore. I've had several of them damaged over the years with our without bags. Fortunately my AAW mags have only had minor damage while some other have been torn pretty badly. It doesn't happen very often. I have much more trouble with books I get from Amazon.com. So far the books have been OK but the box has been severely damaged many times.

Woodturning magazine

I also subscribe to Woodturning from over the pond. It usually comes on time but is occassionaly late. A couple of months ago I got my new issue which I noticed was for the previous month and the next day I got the new months issue.

Vernon

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Mine and my good friends came the same way. I talked to Mark Baker about it and he was surprised and didn't seem to know that had happened. This was during the Richmond symposium. I thought it was odd. Made for some good reading for a few days.

I do not need any cheese with my wine (!), but I am having a tough time discovering the root cause of in-transit damage to my AAW Journal , and I do so want to stop it. The post office has no clue where my Journal damage occurs, but starting with the very next (damaged) Journal issue, I am going to start making more waves than they will find comfortable.
If the printer/shipper is not causing the problem, the AAW should not have to bear the expense of replacing the damaged issues, but I am not (yet) sure how to get the USPS to buy the replacement issue, which would require them to fess-up to causing the damage (Does anyone see that happening?).
We receive several magazines per month, and they all arrive at our very-rural mailbox in pristine condition, as does our regular mail. Our only problem (with damaged mail) is the AAW journal, and it is always at least scratched, or scuffed a little bit, around the front-face edges (the back is usually OK). Sometimes it is badly scratched, and occasionally it is gouged, torn, or mauled to the point where I ask for, and happily receive [in a wrapper] a replacement issue. For whatever reason, the replacement is never damaged.
Getting to the true bottom of all this is not where I need, or want to be spending my time. However, I do not like to pay hard-earned money for a premium Journal, that I enjoy reading, only to have it defaced reroute to my home.
If I happen to discover where the damage to my Journal is “regularly” happening, I will pass it along to the AAW, and to y’all, but so far the perpetrator (or machine) is extremely elusive.

Last edited:
Back