• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Potential Lathe

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I think what wears down turning tools, most especially gouges, is when a new turner experiments with various grinds. Each time a grind is altered, it quickly removes metal, and the result is.....it gets shorter faster.

As the turner establishes those grinds that he likes, he will remove the bare minimum of metal in order to true up the existing grind. When maintaining a single grind over the life of a gouge, it will last 10x longer than switching the grinds at random.

ooc

Last edited:
First, I'm the guy with the Jet1236 for sale and I can't deliver that far, sorry. Thanks for the mention guys.

I also have that same Sears lathe. It is not great to say the least. It was given to me barley used. I would not spend money on it after trying it. Very under powered and cheaply made. Tool rest and tail stock are pretty good not so much the rest of it. It has no reeves drive, it's a variable electronic geared drive. A bit fast on slow and slow on fast. A single headstock bearing and the gearing contribute to a vibration which increases with speed. There are almost no parts available from Sears. My lathe was purchased in 1995 and they were still offered in 2004.

The Craftsman may turn a 13" bowl if you make very light cuts. I own one of those. It can be stalled very easily. I didn't pay much over $400 for it new.

The motor is a DC unit, that runs thru a 4 to 1 reduction gear box. The head stock is not hollow. Vacuum chucking is not a possibility. The lathe has only one main bearing. It runs noisy, with considerable backlash in the gearing.

The lathe bed casting is vastly superior to the later reeves drive version, though.

I also have one of the older tubular Craftsman lathes, also. It runs much smoother, it is actually useable for smaller turning.

My advice... don't do it. Much better lathes available for that kind of money!

Edit.. Just seen this is a rather old post!

Last edited:
Back