• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powder Post beetle example

Think those turning blocks you have in the shed or barn are safe? Took this maple burl off the wood floor of me garage lean-to shed. Totally destroyed, it's just like powder on the inside!

Attachments

• IMG_3073.jpg
    IMG_3073.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 92
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Think those turning blocks you have in the shed or barn are safe? Took this maple burl off the wood floor of me garage lean-to shed. Totally destroyed, it's just like powder on the inside!
If you got that much damage from the beetles AFTER storing it in your shed with wood floors, I'd be seriously worried about the integrity of the shed itself....

I can't tell you which particular beetle grub makes this kind of tracks, but these are not from powder post beetles. They leave tiny, like ball point pen type sized holes, and piles of powder. This is a boring grub. You can stabilize the frass/grub poop with thin CA glue. The other alternative is to use dental picks to pry it all out. You can also pressure wash a lot of it out. I don't think a water pick would be enough to get the frass out.

robo hippy

I can't tell you which particular beetle grub makes this kind of tracks, but these are not from powder post beetles. They leave tiny, like ball point pen type sized holes, and piles of powder. This is a boring grub. You can stabilize the frass/grub poop with thin CA glue. The other alternative is to use dental picks to pry it all out. You can also pressure wash a lot of it out. I don't think a water pick would be enough to get the frass out.

robo hippy
What you are describing is the exit hole of the mature beetle. There are 3 stages, egg, larvae, and mature beetle. When the mature beetle bores out, it mates and starts the entire process all over again. There is absolutely no doubt this is what the PPB does inside the wood. If you still don't believe me, maybe you will believe the University of Kentucky. https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef650
I have no idea why people never think I know what I'm talking about.

I stand corrected. Never knew this. The babies leave the micro fine dust piles and the adults leave the frass trails through the wood....

robo hippy

Back