• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Power Twist Belting

i used 3/8” diameter polyurethane belting on my rose lathe. It is proving to be pretty springy and a limitation on which rosette’s can be used. I see David Lindow used v-belt in later lathes for this reason. However, switching to v-belt pulleys and idlers creates a lot of work and some challenges. It was interesting making the index wheel and all of the pulleys with a round profile the first time. I see that there is a ground round 3/8 twist lock belt that Fenner supplies as a replacement for round polyurethane to address some of these issues. I am wondering if anyone has experience with it in this application and can advise on their experience. For example does it stretch enough to roll onto the pulley’s?

thank you,

Greg

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Greg, there is. I recommend you contact David Lindow or Wes Pilley.

FYI, So I have tried the 3/8 round power twist belting and it works better for me than the polyurethane belting. I don’t believe I had enough tension on the polyurethane belting so that may have contributed to some of the issue as well. I had some issue with power twist trying to climb out of my 3/8” half round profile pulley’s but resolved that by modifying the profile to be a little deeper/wider.

Back