• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic 2014 vs Jet 1640 EVS

Powermatic 2014 vs Jet 1640 EVS vs something else

• Total voters
I was sure like you that owners knew this stuff. But they don’t need to once the have some presets they like.
Buttons are Irritating plus. The DVR performs well when I can get it on a usable speed.

Did a demo on a DVR a couple years ago on a DVR with the old controls. Speed change is slower than watching paint dry when pushing the up and down buttons.

Asked two DVR owners if they could pre-set a couple of speeds for me. Both assured me they could do it. After 15 minutes they gave up and said they had set theirs years ago, never changed the presets, had no idea how the did it, but assured me it was easy.

Demo took a few minutes longer.....

Yeah, once you program the presets you like you forget how to do it, like the presets on your car or home stereo. There’s that thing called a “manual” that details how to do it. Guess the boys at the demo didnt think to look up the manual with a phone.....I couldnt tell you right now how to do it, but I know where my manual is. If Nova had not changed to the “2-step” dial and the speed presets I would not have purchased one. The old speed controls really suck.

Well, I am trying to remember, which can be difficult even on good days. I think the old Jet 16 inch lathes came with 120 volt plugs, but could be rewired for 220. I have turned on one with the 120 volt and one with the 220 volt. The 220 volt version wins hands down, no contest. Last time I checked, the Jet 18 inch lathe was in the $2500 range. Of the above lathes, it is the one I would opt for.

I think one reason Nova came out with the newer version of the lathes with variable speed was because many found the speed changing to be a bother. They went from 5 pre set speeds, to 10, or some thing like that, and now the Orion has true variable speed. One thing that surprised me about the DVR was how much torque it had for what looks like a very small motor.

I don't understand why the lathes don't have speeds lower than 50 rpm, except for the Vicmark which seems to go down to less than 10 rpm. The 3520A model would go down that low, but then they changed it...

robo hippy

A friend just got a 3520C, and it goes down to about 15 rpm, and that was in the high speed range. Much faster than that and I can't keep the drill on my warped bowls. When they went to the B model, they and other lathes went to minimum speed of 50 rpm. There were concerns about the motors over heating. Never a problem for me. My motor runs cooler at the very slow speeds. It actually is acting as a brake when I sand. Turn it off and put the sanding disk on the rim and it can spin pretty fast...

I know that some of the Jet 16 inch lathes are and/or were wired for 220.

My American Beauty, which was one of the first ones out, and my Vic 240 both have 3 speed ranges. I prefer this. Low range is fine for coring, but too slow for the smaller bowls I turn. High speed range has plenty of speed, but not enough torque for coring. Mid range is just right...

robo hippy

Back