• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Powermatic Inverter

I have a Powermatic 3520A wood lathe and I got a new inverter for it but Powermatic Tech support will NOT help me program it. Everywhere I turn I get no help. Does anyone know how to program this inverter???

I won't be able to help, but I'm pretty sure those that can will need to know what brand & model "inverter" you are trying to program? Did you get it from Powermatic or another source?

When the inverter on my Jet 1642 had to be replaced, I bought a replacement from E-Bay. A friend with know how helped program it. We copied the program from another 1642 that a club member had. Took about an hour to program my replacement.

I had to replace the VFD on a Jet 1642 not too long ago, and the original inverter model is no longer made. I went back to the inverter manufacturers website and figured out what the equivalent inverter in their new product portfolio is, and bought one from DigiKey (electronics specialty house) for less than what folks on eBay, etc. wanted for a used inverter.

I was able to get a printout of the original program from one of the members here that had a 1642, and had to manually program each of the parameters by comparing the old inverter manual to the new inverter manual. It took a bit of work, but I was able to completely restore the program to the new inverter and the lathe runs beautifully now.

My only advice is don't just jump in and start changing stuff without reading the manual on the VFD, and get your head around what the "dos and don'ts" are before you start. It is best of you know someone that understands the logic used in programming these things. The good thing is that, with a few exceptions, programming a parameter incorrectly won't damage the inverter. It'll just make it so it won't work as expected, and you may have to do some head scratching and backtracking before you get it to function properly again.

That's the same thing I ran into with the VFD for the Jet 1642. Jet wanted almost $800 for the inverter, but it was already programmed for the lathe.

Just as a comparison, I bought the newer version of the same inverter for less than $250, and spent probably 5 to 6 hours programming it and installing it on the lathe. I don't think any of us would consider making almost $100 and hour for our labor to be too shabby. The net result was that I probably saved a total of ~$500, considering that my labor didn't cost me anything and I could do it at my leisure.

You should be able to print out a parameter manual for the VFD from the internet, If you use a potentiometer to control the speed of the motor you need to select that option for the VFD.
Most VFD's out of the box are set up to be controlled by the keypad, you must change one of the parameters to allow the VFD to be controlled externally with an input like the potentiometer or a variable input signal like a 4-20ma or a 0-10VDC signal generated by a DSC or PLC system. You will have a large number of parameters to choose from in controlling the VFD most of them will not be needed for your application. You usually need to select the motor values, the voltage, the frequency, ramp up speeds, braking speeds, E-Stops, Interlock safeties, etc. If your existing VFD has a digital display, you can usually scroll through the parameter settings and write them down one at a time. Most of them will be the default setting, the settings that are different from the default settings will be the ones you want to pay attention to. If your VFD does not have a display you would have to use a computer with a software program and cable to plug into the VFD to copy the program or change the program or upload a program.

I bought the inverter on line and the exact one that was on there before, something like $380. I've had an electrician over here trying to program the thing but still can't get the controls on the front of the lathe to work. Can run and stop the lathe from the inverter and also control speed but can't do it with the front controls. He is trying to take the settings off the old inverter and then program them into the new one. May cost me more than a new lathe if he spends more time on this.

Can't remember who put it up, but I think there were a couple of 'how to' articles on programming your phase converter. Maybe not accurate any more if the converters were 'new and improved'....

robo hippy

This is for the inverter as used on the Jet 1642. It will likely be the same or very similar to yours.
These two memory locations need to be set (to d1 and d2 respectably) as noted to the side.
This will switch control from the inverter panel to the front lathe controls.
Your electrician must not have any experience with these types of inverters / programming. You should not have to pay for his education.

1620828994953.png
1620829055058.png

Back