• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Preview of the Portland demonstration Grid

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Portland will have more demonstrators (48) and more demonstrations (149) than any AAW Symposium.

Thanks to Ed the rotation grid for our 2007 AAW symposium is on the AAW web site. Ed suggested the format to show everything at once. It is a work in progress so check for changes.

There are lots of choices for all interests and skill levels. I did a quick count on the types of demonstrations we’ll have this year. I put the 149 into broad categories based on what I though the primary emphasis of the demo was.

Skills you can own
14 focus mainly on a skills used to produce unique objects like flower forms, chasing threads, turning a sphere, off center work, multi axis techniques,

Objects and projects you can turn
20 Small treasures including Pens, boxes, ornament, angels, bottle stoppers and more
11 Spindle Turning using the long grain techniques for beautiful objects
26 Open Forms Turning bowls and platters that anyone would be proud to own
18 Hollow Forms different styles and techniques to create works of art
6 Segmented Turning putting together little bits of wood to make one wonderful piece

Beyond and Before the lathe
18 carving , pyrography and other surface enhancements going beyond the lathe
15 focus mainly on design where does inspiration come? When should you be satisfied?

Something different
4 Ornamental Turning – learn to make a lathe and then how to use it
4 Metal Spinning - using a lathe to bend metal over a turned wooden form

Making the Big Bucks
10 Professional interest topics of special interest to professional turners and aspiring artists. These cover marketing, how to get into galleries, getting an edge in the marketplace and what makes a successful career.

I am having the pleasure of working with many of the world’s best turners to put together the biggest program the AAW has ever had. We’ll have more demonstrations than ever and one more room than last year which means one more choice in every time slot.

I hope you can join us for a truly great event,

Happy tunning,
Al

Last edited:
Website
www.myspace.com
I live in Vancouver WA, and Portland is just across the bridge. I am glad to hear that this event is coming to my area. My main questions is, what is the entrnace fee or ticket pricing if any?

I hope and plan on being there at least 1 day. not sure if I can make the whole weekend.

Thanks for your time. :cool2:

Ray

Ray,

The Symposium was right in my own backyard two years ago when I was just getting started in woodturning. The show site was literally four miles from my house, but I felt the same way when I looked at the prices. I decided to just take advantage of the free stuff: trade show and instant gallery. Now, two years later, I’m kicking myself for not buying a ticket, so I’m headed to Portland this year to soak up everything I can. I would encourage you to at least go to the parts of the Symposium that are open to the public, and you might reconsider buying a ticket for at least one day since it’s so close. I wish I had.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
I agree with Jeff... ya it's not going to be cheap, but I can't see myself ever going to any except a regional area, it's likely I may never be able to go to another. So I've spent the money I would have on tools/wood on learning. Probably going to be a better investment (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

First Symposium

Jeff Moffett said:
Ray,

The Symposium was right in my own backyard two years ago when I was just getting started in woodturning. The show site was literally four miles from my house, but I felt the same way when I looked at the prices.

I'm in Wichita and that was 4 hours. Still I took a day to go up and see the free Instant Gallery and the Trade Show. Worth my day. Yes, Worth the price -- I wish I had ponied up the money then.

Still trying to work out details around here to see if I can go.

John :)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Ray,

There are a number of symposium events open to the public.
The Instant gallery (biggest woodturning exibition in the world)
and tradeshow (biggest too) have been mentioned.

There are also Five extraordinary woodturning exhibitions.
1. Turning Green Juried Exhibition this annual AAW member show
2. Japanese Bowls: A Western Perspective - AAW Professionals finish
roughed out Japanese bowls.
3. Four Urushi Artists - to be exhibited at the Symposium site
4. POP Merit Award Perspective -the work of Gilson, Hogbin, and Lindquist

the Fifth will probably require an entry fee to the Forestry center to see it.
5. reTURN to the Land of Oz - This an older AAW show put back together.

The free events are well worth the effort to get there.
The demonstrator line-up is terrific but it does require a registration.
Imagine seeing these men and women show you how they do what they do under one roof.

Hope you get to Portland
Happy Turning,
Al

Back