• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about member registration

I hope this is the right place to post this querry.
For those of us who paid for a two year membership last year, are we out of luck on the new lathe drawing? I know I would not win anyway, but hope springs eternal.

Bruce Wiseman said:
I hope this is the right place to post this querry.
For those of us who paid for a two year membership last year, are we out of luck on the new lathe drawing? I know I would not win anyway, but hope springs eternal.

Thank you Bruce,

I signed on tonite to ask that exact same question. :)

And Thank you Jeff, for your speedy reply.

renewal

Will they be sending us something via mail (ie not the magazine) when membership is to be renewed? Can't remember if I signed up for 2 years, and too lazy to hunt thru old check stubs that are filled away. :D Gretch

Gretch said:
Will they be sending us something via mail (ie not the magazine) when membership is to be renewed? Can't remember if I signed up for 2 years, and too lazy to hunt thru old check stubs that are filled away. :D Gretch

When you get the fall issue of the magazine there will be a renewall letter with it. Check your address field. Right next to your membership number is the experation date of your membership. Or check your address label on the summer issue it is on there as well.
In order to even believe I have a chance at the lathe, looks like I'm always going to be staying a year ahead. :cool2:

renewall

Bruce Wiseman said:
When you get the fall issue of the magazine there will be a renewall letter with it. Check your address field. Right next to your membership number is the experation date of your membership. Or check your address label on the summer issue it is on there as well.
In order to even believe I have a chance at the lathe, looks like I'm always going to be staying a year ahead. :cool2:
Thanks but I renewed on line already and have the info but wondered about a new ID card. Halsey

2-year vs 1-year renewals

It seems that the Association is encouraging two year renewals to reduce overhead. This must be true since there is no savings to the member.

BUT, by offering incentives to renew online while not including members who renewed for 2 years last year, the Association is discouraging 2 year renewals.

Website
www.woodturner.org
more answers

Gretch - if you renew online, then no paper collateral will be sent. To find out your current expiration just login to the system. Your expiration will be at the top of the page after you login!

Halsey - no ID card will be sent if you renewed online. We are planning to update the menu with a link which will allow you to retrieve an ID card which is customized with your name on it.

Charlie - We are not discouraging 2 year renewals. We are focused on encouraging online renewals, and this new software is a unique event. We won't be replacing the software every 3 or 4 years. Currently we have a low online renewal rate and it is costing the general membership a lot of staff time to manually process the paper and phonecall membership renewals - because each one has to be manually entered and verified. Multiply that by thousands and you get an idea of the problem we are trying to solve.

renew some more

Charlie Anderson said:
It seems that the Association is encouraging two year renewals to reduce overhead. *** there is no savings to the member.

BUT, by offering incentives to renew online while not including members who renewed for 2 years last year, the Association is discouraging 2 year renewals.

1. There is a possible savings to the member if the membership dues go up during your second year. This happened the first time second year membership was offered.

2. Your CAN renew ONLINE for 1 or 2 more years if you are in the middle of a two year membership. I have copied below the message one gets when you go to renew. It does say "first issue", meaning first issue of the renewed part of your membership. So if you wish to be eligible for a chance to win, renew all you want.

"1 Year: Please renew my membership for one year starting January 2008. My first issue of the AAW Journal will be March 2008. I will receive all 4 issues of the AAW Journal for 2008 along with the 2008 Member Resource Directory.
2 Years: Please renew my membership for two years starting January 2008. I will receive all 8 issues of the AAW Journal for 2008 and 2009 along with the 2008 and 2009 Member Resource Directories. My first issue will be March 2008. "

Website
www.woodturner.org
If we have some lurkers out there reading these answers, and you have problems using the software, then please send queries to:
inquiries@woodturner.org. Some members are sending "I have this xyz problem" to the webmaster@woodturner.org email ID, and those types of questions should be sent to the inquiries@woodturner.org ID.

The questions in this thread are all good questions and stuff we want to address here.

If anyone else has questions about the existing software or how or why we did it I'll be glad to answer any of them. We have also kept the Q & A page updated to reflect all the questions and answers we know to date.

Back