• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question about Termite Ring Cutters

Website
www.instagram.com
Would a Oneway Termite ring cutter fit into a John Jordan 1/2" tool or a 3/4" tool? I have a few different JJ tool shafts and adaptors for the handles I've bought for them. Can I use the different Termite cutters in the JJ tools and handles? Maybe a better question is what is the diameter of the shaft for the Termite rings? I would like to try the cutters without buying the tool shafts.
Would other cutting tips (like hooks) fit into a JJ tool? Has anyone had any success trying this?
I would think that many parts are interchangable between cutters and tools but I don't know.

termite.jpg

Thanks
Al in Texas

Hook tools are often homemade, so they could be any diameter you want. The replaceable tip hook tool by Michael Hosaluk has a shaft diameter of 7 mm which is just over 1/4".

On the ones I've made, 3/8" seems too large and 5/16" makes a better tool, at least in my hands. My favorite is a vintage one I got at a garage sale and it's 3/8".

That being said, a Hunter tool works better than any of the above.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Would a Oneway Termite ring cutter fit into a John Jordan 1/2" tool or a 3/4" tool? I have a few different JJ tool shafts and adaptors for the handles I've bought for them. Can I use the different Termite cutters in the JJ tools and handles? Maybe a better question is what is the diameter of the shaft for the Termite rings? I would like to try the cutters without buying the tool shafts.
Would other cutting tips (like hooks) fit into a JJ tool? Has anyone had any success trying this?
I would think that many parts are interchangable between cutters and tools but I don't know.
Thanks
Al in Texas
I have never had a termite tool, so take my opinion for what it's worth! The reason I don't own one, is it needs frequent sharpening. A cutting edge lasts a matter of seconds, so in theory, the termite won't last very long if used frequently. I do have some Hunter tools, and there, the cutting edge is at least replaceable, as well as the edge lasting longer. I don't use my Hunter tools much anymore either. For me, a plain ol' bowl gouge with various grinds can do anything the more specialized tools can do, and do it better.....mainly because they are so easy to sharpen. Since you sharpen the length of the tool, rather than the width, the traditional tools last a long long time.
That being said, a Hunter tool works better than any of the above.
I agree with Dean, that the Hunter is a better option, if the only other choice is the termite.....

-----odie-----

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For me, a plain ol' bowl gouge with various grinds can do anything the more specialized tools can do, and do it better.
this is true if you only turn face grain hollowed bowls.
however endgrain hollowing is a different beast and endgrain hollowers will benefit from tools designed to hollow endgrain.

the termite is used mainly for hollowing endgrain from the bottom to the rim- bowls, goblets, vase, boxes
the Raffin back hollowing cut with a spindle gouge does a decent job of hollowing from the bottom center to the rim on endgrain but the depth is limited to 4-6” the termite can easily hollow to a depth of 6-8”

other than the back hollowing, gouges don’t cut from bottom cent to the rim.

people that hollow endgrain or hollow hollow forms will want tools other than gouges.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
this is true if you only turn face grain hollowed bowls.
however endgrain hollowing is a different beast and endgrain hollowers will benefit from tools designed to hollow endgrain.

the termite is used mainly for hollowing endgrain from the bottom to the rim- bowls, goblets, vase, boxes
the Raffin back hollowing cut with a spindle gouge does a decent job of hollowing from the bottom center to the rim on endgrain but the depth is limited to 4-6” the termite can easily hollow to a depth of 6-8”

other than the back hollowing, gouges don’t cut from bottom cent to the rim.

people that hollow endgrain or hollow hollow forms will want tools other than gouges.

Yes, I believe you are correct, Al......

I spoke strictly from my POV, having specialized in face grain bowls......

-----odie-----

Thanks
Al in Texas
See the thread (https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/hollowing-tool-question-scorp-termite.16548/ ) the question has already been answered.

Website
www.instagram.com
Thanks Don,
Especially a big thanks for the size of the male end of the cutters.

"I would suggest that you buy the complete set so that you will get the sharpening stone and the block for holding the cutter for sharpening. The standard handle will allow you to work up to maybe 6 - 8 " off of the tool rest without any vibration (this is after you master the proper presentation). The cutters all have a male end that will go into a 1/4" hole so if you want to use it with a heavier shaft it should also be tapered down on the end - see the attached photo the first is the standard shaft and the second is a 3/4" drill rod tapered down to an end similar to the standard shaft."

1625591145511.png

The John Jordon tool shafts I have may work especially the 3/4" tool as it has the tapered end. I have a sharpening stone and will try it mounted in a die grinder like Al Hockenbery has suggested. I am going to buy the larger termite tool and see if it works with the JJ tools I have.
jj tool.jpg
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences here. I may try a hook tool at some point in the future too.
Al

Last edited:
The John Jordon tool shafts I have may work especially the 3/4" tool as it has the tapered end. I have a sharpening stone and will try it mounted in a die grinder like Al Hockenbery has suggested. I am going to buy the larger termite tool and see if it works with the JJ tools I have.
Assuming that the ring tool will fit into the JJ tool handle you still need a free hand tool handle to be able to turn the ring for the proper orientation.
hanks everyone for sharing your experiences here. I may try a hook tool at some point in the future too.
Al
DSC00945.JPGDSC00946.JPGDSC00947.JPGDSC00948.JPGDSC00949.JPGDSC00950.JPGDSC00951.JPGDSC00952.JPG The 8 pictures should illustrate how to use the ring tool and the best way to sharpen. The wood in this case is birch end grain and the tool mounted to the standard handle.
Pic #1 making a starting hole with a detail/spindle gouge working like a spoon bit, but what isn't shown is enlarging the hole by back cutting.
Pic #2 is the absolute worst presentation, which would almost certainly guarantee a nasty catch.
Pic #3 & 4 show the proper presentation so if the handle is at 6:00 o'clock the actual cut is at 10 to 11: o'clock. The best analogy is to think of the the ring tool as a gouge with the handle at 90 degrees to a normal gouge. The cutting of the reverse half sphere of about 2" diameter took about a half minute and has a surface that would require very little sanding starting with 320 grit sand paper. The final cut is accomplished by holding the tool to the rest with the left hand and rotating in a large radius with the right hand.
Pic #5, 6, 7 & 8 shows the proper adjustment of the stone verses the bit. The technique is to move the tip in a concentric pattern around the stone which will result in a consistently uniform grind. The grind stone should never make 360 contact.
The tool can also be used for deep hollowing where there isn't enough room to maneuver an arc such that it will start as a sheer cut then turn into a scrape between about 10:00 and 9:eek:o o'clock and will require a stiffer handle.
I don't recommend that it be used with a captured bar hollowing system since the presentation angle usually needs to be adjusted within each cut
The best way I know of to master the use of the ring tool is to practice with something similar to what I have shown here.
The drop type hook tool will work however to start the cut in the center you need to hold the handle down to bring the hook to the center, whereas if the hook came out straight similar to the ring tool it would work much better.

Back