• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question on curing UV Resin

It is my understanding that assorted brands of UV resin cure with different wavelengths of UV light so a UV flashlight for brand x may not cure brand y resin. Is this true? Does anyone make a UV flashlight that produces UV in the range of UV light?

I recently got a package of UV resin along with a flashlight to cure it from Berea Hardwoods in Ohio. Look at whats new on the website, it came to me as a kit and works well.

I recently got a package of UV resin along with a flashlight to cure it from Berea Hardwoods in Ohio. Look at whats new on the website, it came to me as a kit and works well.
Yes, there are several places that offer kits. The problem is that not all UV resins cure at the _same_ wavelength. So, if I buy a kit from company A and decide that company B has a better product or lower cost, I may end up having to buy another flashlight. Do I want to spend my scarce money on multiple flashlights or on other tools? Hence, my original question is there a flashlight out there that will cover the _entire_ UV spectrum with enough strength to cure all UV resins?

I've tried 4 different UV resins, and three different light-cure setups, and none worked for me. The "cured" items were either sticky or not glass-like clear. After all that, I've settled in on the classic two equal parts epoxy resin mix for clear coating wood, polymer clay, metal castings and other things. The brand I use for clear-coating is Art n' Glow.

Group4c_of_12_boxes.jpg 2019_PC_set_10a.jpg ButtonsHourglass_11g.jpg Buttons_9b.jpg

Last edited:
I have 3 different brands of UV resin and all 3 work just great. I harden in layers with the UV light. If I were to try a real thick single pour I would place it in the open on a sunny day.

On all brands I use the same UV light source. I tried the flashlight from Berea and it worked but I prefer the UV light source i bought as I have it on a stand and can push and pull the piece I'm putting the resin on in layers. Chris Pytlik in Utah has been using UV resin for years and he used the Sun as his hardening source and I'm sure some of his pours were quite deep in comparison to the thicknesses that I am hardening.

Back