• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question on Ink dyes

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Not familiar with them but most dyes will.work. the question is are they light fast. I use Trans Tint a d have some calligraphy inks that are light fast.

Generally speaking, ink refers to the viscosity of the liquid. Paint stays on the surface and inks sink into your surface. There are dye based inks, like most inkjet printers use. We’ve all seen the color shift which happens fairly quickly. Not so with pigment inks. Photos printed with pigment inks can be soaked in water, and/or left in the sun with zero change.
Be sure you use only pigment based products.

Well I thought I responded to this but must not have entered Post. Yes it can be used on wood . I to do not understand the term "ink Dye". I used this for a while and then they also have metallic inks so I combined both in several pieces. It only takes a drop to go a long way. Comes in a dropper (like eye drops) bottle and you use just one drop at a time. Colors can be blended to get a different shade or new color. This piece has both Ink and the metallic.IMG_4591.jpg

Back