• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question regarding spindle fluting/twisting

Hi woodturners. I need to make a router jig for my lathe for doing fluting and barley twists on spindles and table legs. Can anyone recommend any helpful resources such as plans, machined parts, router bits, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Flutes are easy. Doing spirals.and twists takes a much fancier jig. I have 2 of the Crafstman spiral.router jigs that I've never used. They are somewhat limiting but if you want one I would let them go at a good price. Flutemaster.com sells a much better set up but of course it is expensive. I dont do many spirals.so I just do them.by hand following g Stwart Mortimers book instructions.

John that's really helpful and I might take you up on the craftsman jig. I've seen them on YouTube and almost bought one on Ebay but first I think I'll see about making a shop made machine. I may aslo try doing it by hand, I've got about 25 spindles to make.

If you are up to building a jig, a turner named Jeff Salter has a set of plans available ... I bought a copy of his plan a few years ago, but haven't gotten around to building it yet. The plan is well done, with plenty of pictures and a detailed 'shopping list'. Check it out at his website: http://jeffsturnedwood.com/

Hi everybody, I just came across this thread. If you're interested in cutting spiral grooves with a router system on your lathe, I offer an instructional DVD that can help you set up a jig for cutting spiral flutes on a variety of turned surfaces. Check it out at www.Jeffsturnedwood.com
1706045660090.png

Back