• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Question

I'm fairly new here so I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask this or not...but here is what I want to know. How do I get a copy of "Volume 21 Issue 4"

There are two ways for you to get back issues of the American Woodturner:

1) If you are a member of AAW, you have access to all past issues (25 year's worth) through the members area. This is an online "virtual" magazine format. Logon and then look for the "Online Journals" link on the left-hand side of the page. Check out these two videos that show how to navigate the online Journal and how to find specific articles using the searchable index.

2) Individual copies of past AW issues, and CD's containing several past issues, may be purchased through the AAW's online store located here.

You might also find paper copies of past issues in your local AAW Chapter's lending library.

The online journals are great. I was just "thumbing" through them last night. A nice way to review and find articles. What is really nice is to see how the quality of each issue has improved over the years.

I'm gonna jump in here with a big compliment to the AAW leadership over the years, for having the foresight to fund and support the journal, the exhibition catalogs, and the tapes and DVDs. And another big clapping hand to the volunteers and hired professionals who have produced this treasure trove. It is a cumulative archive of woodturning information and history, consistent for 25+ years -- an astonishing achievement for a membership organization of modern-day bodgers.

I'm writing this from the perspective of being the editor who is just now closing a two-year project, the AAW's 25th anniversary book. Couldn't have done it without all those woodturning visionaries and worker bees, who created all those pages to dig through. And as Ed says, it's all there on line for AAW members.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John Thanks for all the hard work. I'm looking forward to getting a copy. I sure it will be quite fascinating.

Website
www.synlube.net
Journal Vol 21 Issue 4

This issue is not available on the web site to be purchased. Is it included in the CD set? Or, how can I get a specific article from that issue?

The article I'm looking for is by Kirk DeHeer titled "Sharpening Demystified"

Frank, have you tried the online journals? They are in the Members' Only area of AAW's website and most of them are currently available for reading. (A few are temporarily unavailable.)

If you cannot manage logging into the Members' Only area, then send an email to Jane in the AAW office in St. Paul. She might be able to make a copy of the article and send it to you. jane@woodturner.org

Back