• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Quick profile checker......easy to make.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
This handy profile checker has been in service for about five years, and is the handiest little gadget! It's quick to check your bowl's profile while turning.

It has a black and white side for the best view, depending on the wood species you're turning at the moment. (Use your imagination and see a black photo frame back rest glued to some scrap white shelving, with a dowel handle.) I added several little rare earth magnets, so it would stay put on the bedways.

-----odie-----

IMG_0576.JPGIMG_0577.JPGIMG_0580.JPG

Odie, is this just providing a background of uniform light intensity or is the shape of the tool important?

I don't how Odie uses his, but I think you want a uniform, high contrast background. Jaques Vesery teaches a similar method in one of his demos.

I took a piece of cardboard, glued white paper to one side and painted the other side flat black. If I were doing it again I'd use construction paper.

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, is this just providing a background of uniform light intensity or is the shape of the tool important?

Howdy Dean...... :)

The shape is not important.

From my original post:

(Use your imagination and see a black photo frame back rest glued to some scrap white shelving, with a dowel handle.)

-----odie-----

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I thought that was a good question. I was puzzled at the shape of the paddle. I have mosquitos all year round here, that could serve a double purpose in my shop, lol

odie

TOTW Team
I know where Odie coming from, although I dont use them as the back ground for my lathe is darker and I have a spot light over head
Most of the time quite a few turners won't need the profile checker. It does come in handy occasionally, and when it does, it's a great item to have handy.....well worth having one!

I thought that was a good question. I was puzzled at the shape of the paddle. I have mosquitos all year round here, that could serve a double purpose in my shop, lol

Hi Emiliano......

I thought I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but for those who missed it, the shape of the paddle was determined by the black side.....it's part of a picture frame that swings out to stand the picture frame on a mantle, dresser, etc. There is no real purpose in the shape.....it is what it is! :)

1655170627136.png

-----odie-----

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
For the benefit of anybody who hasn’t looked at the back side of a photo frame.

56A7A46C-CD52-42F3-8FCE-2E03573D940C.jpeg

The other side from about 27 years ago.

C24C9668-851C-419A-8AAC-02FC0451CF0E.jpeg

I won it in some contest that Delta Woodworking had. Delta Woodworking was one of the sponsors of the program. I believe that Delta Woodworking posted some pictures of my shop on their website when my shop was actually organized and clean and, of course, had several Delta products in the pictures. :D The web was still fairly new and unsophisticated, but starting to rapidly grow.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
...when my shop was actually organized and clean...
So, pretty much right after the machines were moved in but before any actual work had been done? That was the last time my shop was organized and clean. About 14 years ago. Haven't see the floor since!

Back