• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rebuilding a oneway live center

Hi. Has anyone here ever rebuilt their live center? The one I have came with my lathe, and I think its about 20 years old. It started squealing and got almost too hot to touch last time I used it. I probably had the tailstock cranked down too much. I assume Its a pretty easy thing to rebuild, just looking for some pointers, maybe some part numbers?

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
The manual for the one-way live center suggests sending them back to be rebuilt due to press fits of the bearing to the body and difficulty to remove without the proper tooling.. After 20 years, the grease in the assembly is likely not lubricating any more and is the real cause of failure (lack of lube).
I'd contact One-way and find out how much they want to rebuild your live center.

Google is your friend. There are threads n these forums with discussions, and here’s a link to one man’s experience:
After reading through the linked file, the cost to have Oneway do the work seems pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
The info linked above says out of warranty is $35 plus shipping and handling.

Some thoughts on how to do it:

Use a slide hammer attached to the 3/4x10 thread to disassemble, unthreading the brass piece as the assm comes out. The shaft can then be pressed or driven out of the bearings. Obviously once removed the installed brgs are trash, with hammering on them.

For re-assembly the bearings could possibly be pressed onto the shaft with a vice with a deep socket used to press on the brg inner race do not press on the outer race. Freeze the shaft and warm the brgs. Grease the brg ID and shaft OD. Get the 1st brg started, add the inner/outer bushings, then the 2nd brg, progressively pressing. Now freeze that assm, and warm the outer housing.

I would use a threaded rod passed through the whole assemblywith bushings/washers and a nut. Tighten it up to press the brgs in. I’ve done wheel bearings and motocycle steering head brgs this way many times.

Last edited:
oneway says $48 plus shipping. Ill probably just do that.
You can get a brand new live center and point)no cones) for 119 on amazon with free shipping in a few days. How much will it cost to ship it both ways? You'll have to wait also? Hope you got a spare for a few weeks.

metal lathes drive centers are more robust usually than wood lathes drive centers for same $$$ wise.....do a search, big differences....same m2 & m3

metal lathes drive centers are more robust usually than wood lathes drive centers for same $$$ wise.....do a search, big differences....same m2 & m3
Yes, but they normally come only with a wood splitting point and are usually lower maximum speed, if you want a treaded end then the price goes up a bunch, plus that is not a standard 3/4" x 19 tpi end that is used with the wood turning centers.

Quality does cost.

Another, earlier post. Fairly straight forward project. As stated, snap ring pliers and the shop made spanner are most helpful.

I've rebuilt quite a few, two of mine, a couple of friends and a few at the school. I tried bent needle nose first, yep, a no go for sure.
Bob, the little spanner is 1/8" welding rod, bent around a socket then gripped in a vice bent 90° then the legs cut short.
It works, but I like your version. I've had a few tough ones, one disk I believe was CA glued in and took a heat wrench and a few strong words.
I'm sure I have the parts and pieces laying about somewhers, so, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to borrow your idea...

Here's another variation on that theme that I use for another tool. A piece of 1/4" scrap with two 1/8" dowels. I later ground the ends of the dowels flat to get a better bite.
It helps to have a mill and a lathe.

1         PC310 - 1.jpg 1         PC310 - 2.jpg

Oneway live center.jpg

My Oneway live center is over 30 years old and still rotates smoothly, mind you I'm not abusing it by pressing the center very hard while it is spinning, it is after all only a help to keep turnings steady.

To rebuild, send it to Oneway.
As for cost right now, Oneway asked $35.. US plus shipping and handling, if you use USPS it is very simple and low-cost, no hassle and a quick return.

Last edited:
Back