• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reciprocating power carvers

After getting some useful advice for you all about power carving knives and then investing in a few, I got one bowl's-worth of carving out of my old beater garage-sale power carver before it gave up the ghost. That bowl then sold in a record 90 minutes at the gallery today, so I may be on to something. There are a lot of advantages to power carvers, chief among them that you don't have to clamp the work down but can easily hold the piece in your lap and carve one-handed. The big negative, at least with my old one, was that the carver vibrated like mad and made my hands go numb. Granted, it was a POS, but the vibration may be an issue for all of them. The other big negative was that it was a large and clunky shape to hold.
Looking at the power carvers available at the moment, there seem to be 2 main styles -- flex-shaft and integral motor. The flex-shafts mostly seem to have smaller, easier-to-hold handpieces, which seem like they'd be a lot nicer to work with. I've got zero experience with these and would welcome your comments on how they are to use and maintain. Are they noisy? The integral-motor units like the Automach give you a bit more freedom of movement, since you're not tethered to the flex-shaft, but the chunky, heavy handpiece isn't pleasant to hold for a long time. Have you used both styles? Got a strong preference? If so, why? To be clear, I'm specifically looking at reciprocating, chisel-type machines, _not_ rotary tools. I've got a Foredom K-1070 micromotor for my rotary needs and it does just fine.

I have a Foredom hand piece and do really like it. The two limitations I see are:

1) The length of the flex shaft and trying to keep it oriented in such a way as to not kink or bend it too much.

2) Being tethered to the motor.

I’d love to try the Automach and have heard nothing but great things about it. But unfortunately I don’t have any experience with it to compare the two. I think the Foredom / flex shaft does offer the versatility of multiple hand pieces, but if I had the spare funds and did a ton of carving my gut would be to go with the Automach.

I have a Wecheer reciprocating handpiece for my Dremel. I do most of my carving on the lathe, and the Dremel hangs from a hook on a rack above the lathe. The flex shaft on the handpiece is long enough to let me attack the workpiece at whatever angle I need. For off-the-lathe work, I use a Trent Bosch carving stand and hang the Dremel from a 3' long rod clamped to my workbench. This was an inexpensive way to get into carving and I have been quite satisfied with the results.

I also the Weecher handpiece. Full disclosure - its the only one I have used - but it. has served me very well. I bought a Weecher package on sale bout 8 or 10 years ago that had the power unit, flex shaft and both rotary and reciprocating handpieces included. I honestly didn't think much would come from it except discovering that I wanted something better ultimately. I started using it seriously about 4 years ago and find it has done everything I need.
That said, with nothing to compare it to, the reciprocating handpiece does make a bit of noise, but I don't find it too annoying. I can use it for a couple of hours without a problem, but then my hearing as been compromised for many decades. I think because of how they work with an anvil struck by a rotating hammer its goiing to be prone to noise and vibration. I find neither problematic, but perhaps I would if I had experience with more expensive machines.
I've seen the Weecher handpiece available as an individual unit at a reasonable price. It takes Flexcut blades and a flexcut adapter for other styles of blades. I use the flex shaft that cacme with it, but I believe a dremel flex shaft will work - I have one but haven't tried it.

I have a half dozen or so Dremel carvers, plus a couple of Archer reciprocating heads. The reciprocating heads work fine minimal vibration, chisels are HSS steel nver had a problem with them.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I used the cheap flex shaft system from harbor freight and added the weecher handpeice from treeline usa. I recently upgraded to the foredom and the power difference is night and day. I have mine hanging on a swivel hanger that has an arm 12 inches long that allows the motor to be positioned to keep kinks out of the shaft. I don't run into many issues with this setup.

I have the Automach and I think there is nothing better. I have used other tools to carve, like a Dremel and a flex shaft handpiece. They can work also, but I like the Automach best. However, I would say that using any of them while holding the bowl in your lap would be difficult. I carve using a Trent Bosch carving stand which mounts in place of my tool rest on my lathe. That gives the piece stability and you can move it and turn it to get access to the whole piece.

I also have and use the Automach a little difference than Randy above I use the Best Wood Tools Articulated Carving and Finishing Post. I do agree that the Automach is the best of the best.

Website
www.blacklabelwoodworks.com
I think your going to find asking opinions on power carvers is like asking opinions on lathes. Both styles have there pros and cons but give the same results. Next time I am out in my shop I will take a pic of my setup. I use the Trent Bosch stand but not on the lathe. I built a dedicated workbench bolted to a wall.

I have a Skil #1910 Power Carver that I got in a deceased estate sale. It has an adapter for Flex-cut blades And I have used it to remove the nubs on the bases of some turnings. It's a bit big and it can't really be held in one hand for any detailed work but the vibration is unlikely to cause any bother.

Kalia,
Any of the carvers do vibrate. It would not hurt to wear anti-vibration gloves. It will not solve the problem, but will help.
Also, do not do the carving for a long time. Do it in multiple sittings. Give your hands a rest. Do some other activity. Then, come back to it.
Your arthritis (when you get to be my ages) will be happier with breaks in carving process.

Once you try the Automach carver, nothing else will do. Ryobi used to make a good carver and it was reasonably priced.......then they quit making it.
With the Automach carver - you will need the little brass shims for the Flex Cut chisels. Wear your ear protection also.

Actually with my Automach I didn’t have to use the shims with Flex Cut cutters. When I bought the Flexcut cutters the support guy told me that sometimes they are needed and sometimes not. Mine tighten down securely without. Don’t know why some need the shims and some don’t. Flexcut doesn’t seem to know either.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I have an old Ryobi. I dont need the shims either. Many years ago I asked about the reciprocating handles for my foredom and responses said they weren't good. Any body using one. The automach is simply.out of my price range. The Ryoby isnt horrible but the vibrations do get to you.

Just curious, are the FlexCut cutters for the Automach specifically for the machine or are they just wooden handled cutters removed from their handles? I ask because I inherited a large collection of carving tools from my father who was a hand carver.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I started power carving with a WeCheer in 2010. Used both the reciprocating and rotary carving heads in the flex shaft. I burned it up after two large carvings (8" plus), probably in the difficulty in keeping that short flex shaft as straight as possible. I replaced that one carver with two dedicated carvers: NSK Evolution electric carver for the rotary burrs and the Automach for the reciprocating carving. I also use a Vermec vise to hold work that is being carved, so both hands are free. I wear anti-vibration gloves if the carving I'll be doing is going to last for more than an hour at a time when using the Automach. Otherwise, I just make sure I take breaks.

Note, I do a lot of carving and surface embellishments so spending the money on higher end equipment was not just wise, but necessary. My philosophy on tools and equipment is buy the best you can, even if it hurts. Because you'll only cry once - when you pay for it. Not every time you have to use it.

I have a Ryobi. It was virtually brand new when I bought it online a few years ago, and after production had apparently ceased. It wound up coming from a pawn shop somewhere in AZ I think (or NM?). Works well, takes the Flexcut blades.

buy the best you can, even if it hurts. Because you'll only cry once - when you pay for it. Not every time you have to use it.

I have a Proxxon tool. After a few minutes, the tool turns uncomfortably hot. I complained to the manufacturer. They sent a new head at no charge. The new head made no difference in the heat issue. So I fully agree with Donna.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Just curious, are the FlexCut cutters for the Automach specifically for the machine or are they just wooden handled cutters removed from their handles? I ask because I inherited a large collection of carving tools from my father who was a hand carver.
Flex cuts fit a wide variety of tools. Sherry has a couple of handles for the bits so they can be used as palm carvers.
They fit the old Ryobi,

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have an old Ryobi. I dont need the shims either. Many years ago I asked about the reciprocating handles for my foredom and responses said they weren't good. Any body using one. The automach is simply.out of my price range. The Ryoby isnt horrible but the vibrations do get to you.
I have a Mastercarver flex shaft unit and reciprocating handpiece. I've never noticed any problems - granted I don't use it very often. It is compatible with Foredom and other types.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Flex cuts fit a wide variety of tools. Sherry has a couple of handles for the bits so they can be used as palm carvers.
They fit the old Ryobi,
I have one of their small handles to hold those short, little chisels when honing. I find them difficult to hold without the handle ...could just be the weakness in my hand. :(

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I have a Proxxon tool. After a few minutes, the tool turns uncomfortably hot. I complained to the manufacturer. They sent a new head at no charge. The new head made no difference in the heat issue. So I fully agree with Donna.
I suppose some tools might be worse than others, but they all will heat up. The reciprocating action (pulsing & friction) produces heat.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
For the person(s) who inquired about using the Flexcut reciprocating blades in the Automach. Yes, you can provided they are the blades that can be used in those replaceable style handles or handpieces. You also will need to use brass shims (sold by Treeline USA) to take up the slight gap from the slightly thinner shank of the Flexcuts. I use both Automach and Flexcut blades in my Automach carver, but Flexcut has a wider variety of blade shapes and sweeps.

OK, I'm convinced. I've ordered an Automach. Your collective experiences and feedback are much appreciated, and if anyone can suggest a good vibration-protection glove appropriate to this size tool I'd be much obliged. This page has a nice selection: https://constructioninformer.com/best-anti-vibration-gloves/
but it's hard to choose. Maybe just order loads of them and try them on for fit and flex.
I definitely don't need jack-hammer-level protection, but I've had issues with vibration numbness in my hands before and didn't care for it. Anyone tried fingerless gloves for this? Seems like the palm and first-joint-of-fingers protection might mitigate the worst of the buzz.

I might be in the minority but I’ve never had a problem with vibration without gloves. Maybe I just don’t use it long enough. I’ve found, though, that carving on bowls doesn’t really involve long constant periods of use. I carve a bit, then stop to shift the position of the bowl, then carve a bit again; repitive short periods of carving and setting the Automach down to sift the bowl.

Kalia,
I use the fingerless gloves from Harbor Freight. One of the items that I like from Harbor Freight.
I have purchased anti-vibration gloves off of Amazon, that I use for my lawn mower, roto tiller and chainsaw. They are not great, but work OK.
The best thing to do is to carve for a bit, then get up and change jobs for awhile. Then, go back to the carving.
I have arthritis in both hands and need the breaks. But, the gloves do help.
You will like your Automach carver.
Hugh

My timing is great! Need an ID on this piece. No brand. Has 30" shaft and keyed flag end. Would like to know what could mate up to it. Sounds pretty quiet. Thank you all
1672882420880.jpeg

Someone mentioned this at the Lancaster Coffee Hour last week. Ryobi have reintroduced their reciprocating carver as a Li battery model with USB charging. It is on the Home Depot site.

Kalia,
I use the fingerless gloves from Harbor Freight. One of the items that I like from Harbor Freight.
I have purchased anti-vibration gloves off of Amazon, that I use for my lawn mower, roto tiller and chainsaw. They are not great, but work OK.
The best thing to do is to carve for a bit, then get up and change jobs for awhile. Then, go back to the carving.
I have arthritis in both hands and need the breaks. But, the gloves do help.
You will like your Automach carver.
Hugh
Thanks for the tip on the gloves. I'll snag some next time I'm out by HF.
K

Thanks to everyone in this thread for your helpful comments. I have tried the Automach and very much liked it. My only dislike is the bulk of the unit. I found it quite fatiguing.
I want to know if anyone has experience using a Foredom with the reciprocating handpiece? The power of the automach was sufficient for the texturing and "chip carving" I do on bowls and wondered about anyone doing the same with a Foredom reciprocating handpiece?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Thanks to everyone in this thread for your helpful comments. I have tried the Automach and very much liked it. My only dislike is the bulk of the unit. I found it quite fatiguing.
I want to know if anyone has experience using a Foredom with the reciprocating handpiece? The power of the automach was sufficient for the texturing and "chip carving" I do on bowls and wondered about anyone doing the same with a Foredom reciprocating handpiece?
Yes, a reciprocating handpiece on a flex shaft tool works very well. I have a MasterCarver unit. Originally I had one on a WeCheer - it was a little smaller and more comfortable to hold but was so old it started acting up - probably needs to be rebuilt. But as you know, any tool with a flex-shaft is a little more restrictive than a flexible power cord.

Last edited:
I've had the Automach for a while now and really like it, but one thing that I was not expecting was how hot it gets. That, much more than the vibration, necessitates taking regular breaks to let everything cool off. Is that normal for these units?

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I've had the Automach for a while now and really like it, but one thing that I was not expecting was how hot it gets. That, much more than the vibration, necessitates taking regular breaks to let everything cool off. Is that normal for these units?
Most likely. Even the flex-shaft handpieces get warm (friction from the moving parts) but probably less so than the Automach which has the motor and the friction of the moving parts. That reminds me ... I have an old Automach with a flex-shaft somewhere in the bowels of my shop. It was inconvenient to use because I powered it by using a Jacobs chuck in the headstock of my lathe. Convenient for speed changes but the limited length of the shaft made it hard to maneuver for carving.

I had a Proxon electric (all in one) carver for a while. It was very noisy and the motor generated a good bit of heat. (and had very limited venting) I eventually bought a Foredom that worked great, until it didn't. It was throwing sparks and I thought it just needed brushes replaced. It didn't help. I messed with it a bit, but then bought a cheapo knockoff on Amazon for a fraction of the price. (if/when it quits, I can throw it away and buy another) I bought a 2nd one and keep one for reciprocating chisels and the other rotary bits.

I got lucky and found an old IV rack by the hospital dumpsters. (wife worked there and we often met at the back door) It had a broken wheel on its base. I combined the base of an old office chair with the upper part of the IV rack. It supports both motors, is very mobile, and the height is easily adjustable. (can't beat the price either)

The Weecher handpiece also gets hot - need to take a break and let it cool down periodically - as I go along those breaks happen more often. I’ve come to see this as a feature, not a bug. It allows me a chance to see where I’m going with the pattern and plan a little while my hand recovers from the repetitive motion and vibration.

i had one given to me i think it was a ryobi it didnt last long but it was on its last leg when i got it, i bought an automach and i love it, i also use a Trent Bosch carving stand with it and it works great, i do alot of carving and ive never had problems with vibration or getting too hot

There are various models of Automach, one costing $643. Can someone drill down on advantages/disadvantages of the models or is more expensive better?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm still using a Ryobi I picked up when a local hardware was closing. I've looked at the Automac but price is too high for me. I have a foredom and looked at the handpicked but the folks on a carving foerdom didn't like it so I haven't invested yet.

Back