• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Reeves drive cautionary tale

I have a General 2060 lathe with a mechanical variable speed drive (to which I have added a vfd). It's a bit noisy but otherwise has worked well until recently when it froze up due to insufficient lubrication. I was able to get it back in order, but for anyone out there with the same model or similar grease-able variable pulley drive, don't forget to pull out the grease gun periodically. It has probably been a year since I last did it, and the fact that the mechanism slings a bit of grease around the inside the motor pedestal is a disincentive that I should have overcome.

I didn't take any pictures, but I will describe the gear for anyone needing to service it. The heart of the drive is a double sheave in between the motor and the headstock spindle. It spins on bronze bushings around a shaft attached to the speed control dial. When the dial is rotated the double sheave pivots up or down and the central disc of the sheave shifts sideways between the fixed outer flanges, forcing one v-belt outward and the other inward to change the headstock rpm's. The central sheave and the motor platform are secured with Allen keys on a stout vertical post depending from the headstock casting.

To get at the double sheave I first removed the motor platform. Loosening the keys on the double sheave allowed pivoting it away from the quadrant gear of the speed control and disengaging the drive belts, at which point the sheave and its wrist mount could come off the vertical shaft. The sheave was removed from its inner spindle by removing a spring clip.

Once the grub screws were removed from the outer sheave flanges the sleeve on which they are mounted was forced out with an arbor press. A very slight amount of corrosion was found and removed from the central disc and sleeve and the sheave reassembled on the sleeve. The central disc slides freely, but the outer discs are a press fit.

I found that the original spacing of the discs was not ideal. When one belt is close to bottoming out at the sheave center, the other belt should be at the maximum sheave diameter, giving the maximum speed variation. I pressed one of the outer flanges in almost 3/16" farther than the factory setting, drilled new seats for the grub screws, and reassembled the works.

Much of this work was done lying on the floor in an awkward position, and could have been avoided with better maintenance. "Eppur si muove"

I have a Powermatic 90 which also had the mechanical variable pitch sheave system. The first modification I did on it was to cram a 1-1/2 HP 1125 RPM motor into it along with a VFD. The unit never locked up but it did have an annoying rattle due to worn bushings and like yours was noisy & rough.
The next modification was to remove the the variable pitch system and replace it with two step multi rib belt and pulleys. The lathe now operates vibration free in all speed settings with more than enough torque for any application. Notice the handle on the speed dial has been removed but the dial itself is still there to cover the hole in the head stock.

DSC00093.JPG

Mine has a bit of a rattling sound from the speed dial at some speeds, but runs smoothly enough. The bushings are in good shape. I'm just glad I was able to get it spinning again. I think it will continue to function well with consistent greasing. If it doesn't the decision to buy a new lathe or fluff up this one as you have done will depend on finances.

Any Reeves type drives on all of the different lathes require a routine maintenance cleaning and lubrication to keep the pulleys functioning properly.
Some of these pulley systems are better quality and many of the newer ones are cheap quality alloy castings that wear out quickly and break easily if pried on.
The older cast iron reeves pulley systems were a lot stronger and can tolerate mechanical forces when trying to get them "unstuck" when they suffer from lack of maintenance.

When the Jet or Clone reeves drive pulleys began to wear out they will also start wearing the belts out quickly. If the belt shreds you need new pulleys.

My ‘smith was made in ‘63, and had the original sheeves until just recently when the normally noisy machine began making ominous noises. It turned out that the bearing where the control arm bore on the pulley had been gone for many years! Replacing the parts made it much smoother and quieter!
Best, Spike

Back