• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Repair epoxy finish

Yep, we're at that stage. Well, I so loath this piece that I decided to use my patented move if flinging the piece at hypersonic speeds from the lathe while parting off. Sadly it was not destroyed, it only suffered a blemish which must be repaired, ignored, or I will be forced to consciously dispose of the piece. I far prefer the passive aggressive resolution to a hated piece where I "accidentally" destroy it.
Anyway, here is the blemish. Looks like a bit of a detachment or something.
Thanks for taking a look. Here is a pic of the whole piece as well, just for the record.
R

Attachments

• PXL_20210606_193829700.jpg
    PXL_20210606_193829700.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20210606_202353329.jpg
    PXL_20210606_202353329.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20210606_202450451.jpg
    PXL_20210606_202450451.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 39
No ceremony in my shop. I've been turning 35 years. I don't destroy many, but when it goes badly, it's in the trash. No need wasting time with a fix, especially with expensive resin. I've got lots more wood. I just bought a Solo Stove Firepit, so more fun watching them burn in the future.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
One of our former AAW.presidents used to.shoot up pieces on purpose. My mind has gone blank on his name this morning because I talked to him at length on time and even helped.repair a tire on his wheel.chair. he used shotgun pellets as a.texturing tool. How fun is that. He wrote.an article on that for the journal so you can.look it up.

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
I suspect you either had something on the wood (oil/grease) before the finish was applied.
For a first finish, I usually thin the epoxy with pure alcohol (not beer...that has other uses..)
Thinner epoxy penetrates into the wood better, for more color and better bonding.
Also try warming the piece before applying.

Not sure what the overall objective is but it is a pretty log.
Lou Jacobs' comment above sounds reasonable, assuming the piece has a purpose. I would either turn-off or die-grind off and refinish with anything but epoxy.
If committed to epoxy, the lowest viscosity epoxy out there is Aero Marine 300/21 - I wipe it on the inside of my hollow-forms and have never had an issue.

@John Tisdale do you use the Aero Marine 300/21 to water proof vases/vessels? This particular piece is a flower pot. Usually I just epoxy the inside. But I thought, maybe I'd try to epoxy the whole thing then sand down the gloss. Aside from being a brutally painful process, and the issues stated above, it seemed to work pretty well. :) Ok it was a disaster.
So my question is, about aero marine. Do you use it so the container can hold water? And if you do do you have a process that you like for doing it?
Thanks,
Raif

Not sure I know what "water-proof" means and I would never make the claim - I simply don't know. And, for my work, it's a non-issue.
You are correct, from what I've read, that epoxy is one of the better barriers to water vapor meaning it's more effective than some materials, less than others. Because the 300/21 lends itself to wiping-on, it's great for the inside of a hollow-form which should be sealed from water vapor. While I doubt it's an absolute barrier, I do think it the best doable/practical choice.

One of our former AAW.presidents used to.shoot up pieces on purpose. My mind has gone blank on his name this morning because I talked to him at length on time and even helped.repair a tire on his wheel.chair. he used shotgun pellets as a.texturing tool. How fun is that. He wrote.an article on that for the journal so you can.look it up.
john are you thinking of phil brennion (sp?) I tried his gun powder texture once- it was ok-kind of fun- but not anything i'd do again-

Back