• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Resin Casting to embellish your woodturnings: # 01

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
It's been many years since I made a woodturning related how-to video, and thought it might be interesting to start a series on making epoxy resin castings that could be used to embellish your lathe works. Here's # 01 in the new video series:
Thanks for that, Ed. I have one of those trivets that I never use. I assume that is some sort of casting resin and not regular epoxy. I've never done any of that stuff ... you've piqued my interest! :)

I assume that is some sort of casting resin and not regular epoxy. I've never done any of that stuff ... you've piqued my interest! :)
Yes, that's right. Epoxy casting resin is usually mixed in a one-to-one ratio, just like bonding epoxy, but can be bought in bulk kits...8 ounces to 2 gallons. If you want to give it a try, there are several simple techniques people use to get the bubbles out and to make your castings crystal clear or color-enhanced (subjects for future how-to videos). This is one of the brands I use: Art n' Glow casting resin

Last edited:
Interesting video. I assume in future videos you'll show the individual steps.

(P.S. Just my opinion, but background music doesn't add anything to your presentation).

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Yes, that's right. Epoxy casting resin is usually mixed in a one-to-one ratio, just like bonding epoxy, but can be bought in bulk kits...8 ounces to 2 gallons. If you want to give it a try, there are several simple techniques people use to get the bubbles out and to make your castings crystal clear or color-enhanced (subjects for future how-to videos). This is one of the brands I use: Art n' Glow casting resin
Thanks, Ed. Love your creativity in using these unusual materials for turning.

Back