• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rest In Peace Stephen Hogbin

we lost a truly great one last week on January 13-2022: the Canadian wood artist and educator Stephen Hogbin passed away at age 79, in Owen Sound ON Canada where he lived. During the 1970s, Stephen flashed on the design opportunities in the cross-section of the turning and he began cutting and reassembling bowl forms in ways no-one had seen before. He continued to produce visually startling turnings, furniture, sculpture, stairways, and complete interiors, always new ideas and often colorful. His long career included teaching at Sheridan College near Toronto and a seminal fellowship in Australia. In 2006 the AAW awarded him its first lifetime professional achievement award and exhibition. In 2015 Stephen closed his own workshops to focus on Intersections Gallery and Wood Studio in Owen Sound.

Last fall I made a short 8-minute presentation to introduce Stephen to our club, Lancaster Woodturners; on Thursday this week we’ll show slides and remember Stephen during our weekly woodturners coffee hour and there’ll be a new video to post then. Meanwhile please enjoy this glimpse of early work by a truly genius turner:
View: https://youtu.be/1DydDlSEHzY

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Stephen Hogbin was my first woodturning "hero" (late '80's - early '90's). So sorry to hear of his passing. I'm fortunate to own two autographed copies of both of his woodturning books. His innovative approach just blew me away. Over the years, his influence led me to make some pieces albeit on a much simpler and smaller scale - and I always enjoyed the process. I've posted some very simple split-bowls in the Gallery and also some other pieces where I just cut them up and rearranged them. RIP Stephen.

I'm so impressed, enough that I found his books on E-bay and purchased one of them. will the other when budget allows. Amazing talent. RIP.....

One of the things I saw before I bought my first lathe was a fellow down the street was making those inside out Christmas ornaments. He moved and I lost touch with him right after he had shown me one he made. Thinking that must have been in the early 1990s. One of the reasons I got interested in turning. I wonder if Mr. Hogbin had anything to do with that design, seems to fit his genius. Anyone know how long that ornament design has been around?

Back