• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rethinking AW Cover Photo Criticism.

I was somewhat critical of the cover photo choice for the Winter Issue (the lump of chainsawed charcoal), but that issue arrived without a scratch on it. Every page was crisp and flat and the spine was perfect. As though it had never been opened before it got to me.

The Spring Issue arrived today. I know from Ed Davidson's post that it was supposed to have a picture of a fantastic piece by Hans Weissflog on the cover. Unfortunately, someone in the postal system must have decided to keep the picture as a souvenier (most of the cover was missing). The issue also looks like it has been thumbed through and read extensively before it got to me. Dog eared pages, torn pages, pages with smudges, one of the spine staples missing. There are no tire tracks on it, but I'm sure that was an innocent oversight.

I can see now that I failed to appreciate the genius behind the Winter cover photo selection. Put a picture of chainsawed wood on the cover and nobody in the postal service bothers to open it and it arrives in mint condition. Put a picture of a real work of turned art on the cover and it arrives in tatters and all worn out.

Intereingly enough, I had two other woodworking magazines arrive today in their poly bags. They were in mint condition (as usual). Hmmmmmm............

Ed

Sorry yours did not make it through the mail in one piece. I lucked out and mine was in reasonably good shape. Other times it has not been so lucky.
I have to say, despite it's short comings I would still rather do business with USPS, than UPS or FedEx.

All in all, I thought there was pretty good variety in the journal this month.
I was expecting to arrive at the online forum to see a big long thread on Flexner's article. I guess I will just have to wait for the controversy to materialize. I was hoping he'd provide a little more detail about his thoughts and facts found about the slow or non-curing finishes. He found the walnut oil to be dull, but quite frankly it's one of the aspects I like about walnut oil.

Ed,
Depending on how slick the cover of the magazine is they get caught in the flat sorting machines & do rip them off sometimes. Some of my customers that get their magazines delivered damaged I tell them to call the magazine editor & usually they will send another issue & also to call the USPS & complain.

Chuck (mailman)

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Ed, if it's any consulation, and there are woodturners working in the USPS, I had 8 shipments of my stoppers just go off the radar in a 4 week period, reported it to the USPS police, it stopped dead and every order gets to its destination in 2 to 3 days now. At least you did get the magazine. But I still can relate to the frustration of someone going through your "stuff".

Martin, I agree with you on the walnut oil finish. Old treenware didn't have a "finish" or sheen, my old wooden spoons are beautiful with patina and soft as velvet from use. I like to tell my customers, "this bowl was made for a lot of use, you can't hurt the finish, please enjoy it." A few years ago I made a beautiful platter for my brother and his wife, put a nice finish on it, they kept it on a shelf, didn't want to use it and "ruin the finish" so I took it back and gave them one with just walnut oil finish, they use it every time they entertain, which is very often. It warms my heart when people use and abuse my gifts. :D

This does come under "different strokes for different folks".

Ruth

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
I thought our Journals were supposed to be polybagged for the winter and spring issues, or was that just a rumor?
Sorry to hear about your damaged issue Ed, I hope you raised a stink with the powers that be! Mine arrived on Saturday, with just a torn staple but otherwise in good shape.

Mee Too!

I understand how you guys feel. My issue came to me full of beautiful photos and awesome articles. Imagine my surprise. I expected so much less than one of the greatest woodturning magazines in the world. I'm going to go home and thank my postman for delivering it early this month.

I have recieved past issues completely in tact but so far I haven't recieved this one. Seems my postman has changed his route, mail coming in at different times every day.:mad:

Ed, I feel as you do that the usps is not very trusted. I as yet have not received the spring issue of American Woodturner, which is not unusual, because I do not seem to get any mail at any high rate of speed. I have also recieved a lot of mail that I suspect has been perused by the powers to be and only delivered after they have finished with it. Hope mine arrives in good condition soon.

Bill

Just got off the phone with Eunice at AAW and she agreed to send me a replacement issue. No hassle whatsoever. Maybe the replacement will be able to run the postal gauntlet and arrive in readable condition.

If everyone who got a damaged issue called for a replacement then maybe the AAW board would have an easier time justifying polybagging the AW.

Ed

My replacement issue of the journal arrived today in a nice white envelope. Both the journal and the envelope were in mint condition. Took less than a week for the AAW to get me my replacement. Thank you to everyone in the AAW office.

Ed

p.s. $2.30 in postage to get me my replacement. I wonder how many polybags that would have bought?

Back