• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

REVO 18/36 Noise Question

I thought I might purchase one of these, so I'm looking at everything I can find online to help make the go/no-go decision. I watched a video earlier where some guy had a new REVO 18/36. The motor/invertor screech was considerable. As in annoying as heck. The lathe was under practically no load. Is that common for these lathes?

I know some lathes with fancy speed controllers chirp when starting, but this was no chirp. It was constant, and pretty close to fingernails on a chalkboard.

Any comments welcome. Thanks!

Quick follow-up. I just received and assembled the Laguna Revo 18/36. Overall, it's a reasonably quiet lathe. There is, however, a noticeable 8,000Hz (+/-) tone generated by the power supply. You can search YouTube for an 8,000Hz tone to see if you can hear it. I'm pretty sure it would bother me if I didn't always wear hearing protection.

Just sayin'.

Cheers!

Mike

Interesting.

I have used two Revo 1836 lathes and didn't notice any noise as you describe.

I went online and listened to 8000Hz tone as you suggested. That kind of noise didn't emanate from either of the two 1836 lathes that I used, otherwise I would have been concerned about purchasing my Revo 2436.

I just went to my shed and turned my lathe on to have a listen. It is a Revo 2436 and it does have a larger motor at 2.2kW (2200W) than the Revo 1836 motor.

I had my lathe running at the lower speed belt setting, and turned it on at roughly halfway, the wind noise coming from the fan at the end of the motor started to sound like the 8000Hz noise I just listened to via my computer from the web.

Turning the speed dial to 100% the lathe was spinning the spindle around 13500 rpm or thereabouts, but the motor of course was running at the limit. I moved around listening, and I have my hearing aids in so I can hear all sorts of sounds. The high pitched whine I did hear, was immediately deadened a real lot once I placed my hand over the fan guard at the end of the motor. Placing my hand on and off the fan guard, the high pitched whine sound went on and off.

While you may be hearing a high pitched frequency sound, I wouldn't be too sure it was emanating from the power supply. At least that is the conclusion I have at the moment.

If you are hearing the sound at low revolutions of the motor, then you may be correct, but in my case, and yes, on a different machine to your machine, it only occurs when I'm running the motor near terminal rpm.

Back