• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Richard Moore

Hi everyone, I’m Richard and I’ve been woodworking most of my life. I currently work as a cabinet installer and interior trim carpenter. one of my hobbies is hand tool woodworking and I do some turning. I have an interest in improving and extending my turning skills. As a matter of fact after spending last evening reading in the resources section here I’ve learned a great deal. I know of a local chapter in my community and I plan to visit them on their next meeting. I’m currently involved with NCWOODWORKER and I’m serving on the board. We have common goals and I would be interested in learning from this organization as well. I know you are having a gathering in Tennessee this month. Unfortunately for me I’m going to be on the coast installing a house full of cabinets. So perhaps next year. In the meantime I plan on practicing and studying. You folks are an inspiration to say the least.

Thank you sir. If it’s like the rabbit hole I’ve gone down with hand planes and handsaws then I’m in for a ride.

Been in that hand plane hole for a while and I guess I have reached my max at 30, but you just never know. CAn't afford any more of the expensive ones tho.
I'll take my stanley 4 1/2 over my veritas any day, my usual smoother is an old stanley no. 4, definitely no need for expensive planes, just picked up a few more from an estate, have restored a couple and all perform just as well as my new veritas planes. Honestly if I knew then what I know now the only high end plane I would have bothered with is my bevel up jack.

Back