• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rick Urban

Website
www.rickurbanwoodturner.com
I am Rick Urban, and I turn in northwest Georgia. I turned my first bowl in 1959, but that doesn't count, because though I had a lathe most of my adult life, I didn't really begin turning until 2003, after 20 years in the Air Force and 15 in the computer software industry. Then I experimented with all manner of tools, techniques, styles, and designs for the next decade and a half. That made my experience a mile wide and a half inch deep. At some point I realized I needed to figure out what I wanted to do when I grew up.

I gathered up memories from thing I'd found interesting like ocean tidal pools, forests, fosils, and such. I added a collection of experiences like the seeing the turned pieces displayed at the president's house at my first ever AAW Chapter meeting, subsequent chapter demos, and the demos at the regional and national symposia I had attended.

I put them together and decided I liked smooth curves, natural classic forms like eggs, spheres, spirals, clams, and nautili; and I liked texture; all kinds of texture.

That's largely what I like doing now (this week) turning, carving, texturing. I like doing new and different things, so I don't know exactly what I'll end up doing next week.

I'm not as much of a maker these days as a demonstrator, teacher, and mentor wanting to help others in this arena.

My waiting until I found time to be active in the forum wasn't working out, so I decided I better make time.

Here I am!

Attachments

• 2022-02-19 (6).png
    2022-02-19 (6).png
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • Rick with Red Bay Platter IMG_6978.JPG
    Rick with Red Bay Platter IMG_6978.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Rick_Urban_Photo.jpg
    Rick_Urban_Photo.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Scanned_Image_012.jpg