• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rikon 70-3040

It's soon time for me to upgrade to a larger lathe and I'm interested in the Rikon 70-3040. I'm really excited by the lathe's ability to turn large diameter pieces between centers. Does anyone have one and what are your impressions?
I'm having a hard time finding one in a store that I could check out. It's just a lot of money to spend sight unseen and just order online without actually getting my hands on one. If you are in the PA, MD, DE, NJ area, I would really appreciate being able visit your shop to see the lathe in person. I'll also be drivining to the Boston, MA area in early October, so I could also stop by if you are in the New England area.
Thanks for your help,
-Matt

I don’t have one, but on a recent visit to the Harrisburg Woodcraft I noticed that they had one on display.

I ordered one in January. I finally gave up in March and got a Grizzly G0766. They were waiting for lathes to be shipped from China and I think they’re still waiting. If you’re willing to pay full price (almost $2000 more than what I was paying), then I think there may be some in stock at a few retailers. I don’t think there are very many in the wild.

If this lathe had a sliding headstock I would likely have gotten one (or still be waiting on one to arrive). There is a lot to like. Due to back issues, I wanted to be able to turn off the end of the lathe if needed. I ended up getting a Laguna 2436. The Rikon 70-3040 was $3200 when I was looking (online) at them back in early summer. If I recall correctly, Woodturners Wonders had the best price at the time though it was similar to Woodcraft in pricing. None of my local retailers had one I could look at: not Woodcraft, Rockler, or Woodcrafters.

I later learned I would have actually been "pre-ordering" and waiting. There were reportedly only a few in the country at the time. Glad I didn't wait. I know of at least one person who had been waiting for over 7 weeks and it still hadn't arrived.

Back