• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Rikon Live Center

I have a Rikon 1220 with factory supplied live center. My question is: Is the cup center removable from the live center?

I'm not familiar with the Rikon center but I'm guessing it's a generic like most that come with other brands of lathes. If there's a hole in the other end (at the end of the morse taper) you can use a long narrow punch and knock it out. The center points are usually a morse taper too and it will go back in easily.

It does have a hole in the other end. I will try your suggestion. Visually it looks like one piece, but I thought it should be removable.
Thanks

Use a dowel or brass or some other soft metal rod. If you use a pointed punch you risk slightly widening the back end of the (hopefully) removable insert and making it tighter in the hole.

Back