• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robert Leanza

Hello, my name is Rob Leanza, and I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself as a new member and a little bit about my turning interests and history. I first became interested in turning when a colleague brought in an old Delta Homecraft lathe into work that he had no interest in using. After doing a little research I decided to take that old lathe apart, refinish it build a stand for it, and successfully turned my first bowl. That experience taught me that I needed to do more research, get a proper sharpening setup, a bigger lathe, and the basics of proper tooling.
Currently, my main interest is learning how to turn bowls and platters. I finally got myself set up this past summer in my garage and dipped my toes in the world of bowl turning. I haven’t been able to turn regularly, but I just finished another binge session of turning this past month. The pictures I’m posting are some of the examples of the pieces that I was able to attempt. Both my space and my lathe are hopefully temporary until I can make a dedicated space and upgrade to a variable-speed lathe.

I’m looking forward to being a member of AAW. Every time I ask a woodturning-related question, it seems an AAW forum link pops up with questions and answers that I’m looking for. So thank you for inviting me into the association!

IMG_2166.jpegwwwIMG_2402.jpegwwwIMG_2388.jpegwwwIMG_2387.jpeg

Welcome Robert from Kingsville, Ontario, Canada. Nice selection of work. I am sure you will find a ton of information and helpful information from other turners as I have this past year.

Welcome! I’m fairly new to this community as well. The knowledge here is second to none. You will get real first hand advice from these spectacular turners.

Thank you Gerald for the welcoming reply. I live in upstate NY just outside of Saratoga Springs. I think there’s a turning club not too far south of me. I’ll have to do some more research…

Back