• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Robert VandenBroeke

Good day,
I am new to turning.
Well I'm not counting turning a lazy Susan that I made over 50 years ago in high school, which I still have.

But it looks like a lot of fun, so why not try it.
I am hoping there might be someone in my area that I could ask advice from.
The closest chapter seems to be up in Provo, Utah.
I've watched a few YouTube videos, and I think lidded boxes and bowls would be nice for gifts, and to keep some for ourselves.
I looked at the gallery here and everything is extraordinary, such talented people.

Welcome to the forum, Robert. Be careful, turning is addictive! :) If there is a turning club in your area, that would be a great place to start. Video's are helpful as well.

Turner's here are very helpful and will answer any question that you may have on turning, tools, safety and other things pertaining to turning. Happy turning and have fun!

Welcome to the forum, Robert. Be careful, turning is addictive! :) If there is a turning club in your area, that would be a great place to start. Video's are helpful as well.

Turner's here are very helpful and will answer any question that you may have on turning, tools, safety and other things pertaining to turning. Happy turning and have fun!
Thanks Lamar,
I appreciate the welcome.
After checking online, I can't find anything in my area, it's about a 200 mile drive up to Provo, but it looks like they have a meeting once a month, so that's not to bad if I go once a month.
Is it possible to watch videos and read books to learn?
But I want to stay safe, so I know having someone to show me would be best.

Welcome. It's a lot of fun. I agree with Lamar. IMHO, club is worth the time and investment for the dues. Many turners here have Youtube videos.
Hello John,
Yes, I have been watching quite a few videos.
And I've decided to make the drive up to Provo to attend the meeting up there.
Do I just show up or should I contact one of the chapter officials ahead of time?
Or do I need an invitation?
I am certainly willing to pay any dues or membership fees.
Thanks for the welcome, I will be asking lots of questions.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Welcome Robert.
Craft Supplies USA is also in Provo. Probably the oldest woodturning supplier in the US...and they offer classes.
Look around their catalog and get on their mailing list for catalogs and workshops.

Yes, when I checked on the AAW chapters in Utah, Craft Supplies was donating the room for the monthly meeting.
But when I contacted the president of Timp woodturners, he told that because of covid-19 that the meetings are only online.
So I will be in front of my computer tomorrow evening,
I'll be so glad when this covid-19 situation is behind us (if it ever is).
Anyway thanks for the welcome!

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Yes, when I checked on the AAW chapters in Utah, Craft Supplies was donating the room for the monthly meeting.
But when I contacted the president of Timp woodturners, he told that because of covid-19 that the meetings are only online.
So I will be in front of my computer tomorrow evening,
I'll be so glad when this covid-19 situation is behind us (if it ever is).
Anyway thanks for the welcome!
I sent the link to CSUSA so you could check out the workshops available. In the green Announcement Box they state that as of April 15th registration will be at full capacity. Taking a workshop will get you off on the right footing....and save you a lot of time and grief going forward. Speaking from experience here!

I sent the link to CSUSA so you could check out the workshops available. In the green Announcement Box they state that as of April 15th registration will be at full capacity. Taking a workshop will get you off on the right footing....and save you a lot of time and grief going forward. Speaking from experience here!
Tom,
I did check their classes that they offer, and I think I will sign up for the turning 101 class.
I know it's always best to learn from an experienced person, just to save time and grief as you mentioned.
But I still have to work to pay for this, so I'm not sure when I can do it.
Which brings me to another question, should I get a small cheap lathe , or save up and get a really nice expensive one?
I saw that they use powermatic lathes in the classroom.

Check to see if they are having person-to-person meetings or via Zoom. Our chapter is finally having a p-t-p meeting later this month.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Which brings me to another question, should I get a small cheap lathe , or save up and get a really nice expensive one?
I saw that they use powermatic lathes in the classroom.
Rather depends on what you want to turn.. If you want to do just bowls, a 16 by 40 might be a lot of wasted space... (40 inch spindles) if you want to do pens and spindles only, a mini lathe would do nicely so your first task is to determine WHAT you want to turn, to figure out a suitable lathe size (or size range) and where you might fit it in your shop, then go out and find the best one you can possibly afford.. Most expensive might not be the best one for you.. and cheapest in your size range might be a "get what you pay for" and result in a lot of headaches and frustration (Trust me, I bough a used harbor freight lathe, and wish I hadn't)

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
You are fortunate that right now most turning clubs are meeting by Zoom, and many, no matter where they are, invite anyone who is interested. If you'd like to sit in with the Association of Revolutionary Turners in the Boston area (third Thursdays) I'd be happy to send you a link.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
The better the lathe the lower the risk, at least in terms of percentages if not absolute dollars. The highest end lathes like the top line Powermatic and Vicmarc, Robust, or Stubby hold their resale value very well. Harbor Freight lathes not so much, but there is little at risk. Mid-range lathes of Asian manufacture probably offer the best deals in the used vs new market.

If you stick with it you will never regret having a bigger, heavier lathe.

Keeping an open eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace can yield decent used lathes at decent prices, often complete with the tools, chucks and accessories that often end up coasting as much as the lathe. Don't forget sharpening systems, and a chainsaw to harvest your raw material!

Rather depends on what you want to turn.. If you want to do just bowls, a 16 by 40 might be a lot of wasted space... (40 inch spindles) if you want to do pens and spindles only, a mini lathe would do nicely so your first task is to determine WHAT you want to turn, to figure out a suitable lathe size (or size range) and where you might fit it in your shop, then go out and find the best one you can possibly afford.. Most expensive might not be the best one for you.. and cheapest in your size range might be a "get what you pay for" and result in a lot of headaches and frustration (Trust me, I bough a used harbor freight lathe, and wish I hadn't)
Hello Brian,
I don't want one from harbor freight, but I do have a fairly large shop/garage. I just need to get it organized better.
In my area there's not anything used for sale, so I will have to go to Provo or Salt Lake.
I think I might get a jet 1221vs, and see how it goes.
I think I would like to turn bowls, and boxes with lids mostly.

You are fortunate that right now most turning clubs are meeting by Zoom, and many, no matter where they are, invite anyone who is interested. If you'd like to sit in with the Association of Revolutionary Turners in the Boston area (third Thursdays) I'd be happy to send you a link.
Good evening Roger,
Sure, please send the link.
I don't know for sure if I will have a chance to attend or sit in whatever is the right phrase.
Because I still work part time, and we're remodeling our house.
Thanks for the link.

The better the lathe the lower the risk, at least in terms of percentages if not absolute dollars. The highest end lathes like the top line Powermatic and Vicmarc, Robust, or Stubby hold their resale value very well. Harbor Freight lathes not so much, but there is little at risk. Mid-range lathes of Asian manufacture probably offer the best deals in the used vs new market.

If you stick with it you will never regret having a bigger, heavier lathe.

Keeping an open eye on Craigslist and FB marketplace can yield decent used lathes at decent prices, often complete with the tools, chucks and accessories that often end up coasting as much as the lathe. Don't forget sharpening systems, and a chainsaw to harvest your raw material!
I don't know if there are any trees in my area that would be worth turning, all I know of are Utah Juniper, and pines, and cottonwood trees.
And those aren't suitable I don't think.
Well, I do travel all over the country for work, so when I'm in an area that has nice hardwood lumber I will bring some back home.
One of the videos I recently watched on YouTube, the guy bought bundles of firewood and found some nice wood for small objects to turn.
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I don't know if there are any trees in my area that would be worth turning, all I know of are Utah Juniper, and pines, and cottonwood trees.
I used to think so too, but I have found that just about any wood that isn't rotten/punky or cracked/split beyond any use can make some pretty nice pieces .. although , pines (pitch mainly) might not be the greatest, and probably quite messy to clean up after.. dunno about Juniper I know next to nothing about it.. but Cottonwood shouldn't be any problem judging by a couple recent threads on these forums, it evidently isn't all as soft as its name implies.. I have even managed to turn very punky wood (dead hornbeam) although it was challenging, and ended up tossing the project after I turned it, I dropped it while doing some sanding and it pretty much just burst into pieces when it hit the floor.. which left me amazed it even held together on the lathe.. although, granted I was turning a 4 inch piece at the slowest possible speed (650 RPM on the HF lathe) just because I was fully expecting it to fly apart on me... (Hey, I like to challenge myself to see if I can do something, and maybe learn from it..) So, I wouldn't turn up my nose at any solid piece of wood, if I didn't have much else of a selection to work with..

I didn't know that about cottonwood, it might be worth it to get a chainsaw after all.
The idea of getting free wood is very appealing,
I wonder is there any way to look up members of AAW by their location? Because a local experienced turner could answer these questions I am sure.
I enjoyed reading your experience with the punky dead hornbeam, I am not familiar with it.
Thanks Brian

Thanks Lamar,
I appreciate the welcome.
After checking online, I can't find anything in my area, it's about a 200 mile drive up to Provo, but it looks like they have a meeting once a month, so that's not to bad if I go once a month.
Is it possible to watch videos and read books to learn?
But I want to stay safe, so I know having someone to show me would be best.
Hello Robert, yes, you can learn a lot from viewing video's and reading. Most how to video's on woodturning are very informative and many are made from knowledgeable turners on this forum. Hope this helps.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I wonder is there any way to look up members of AAW by their location? Because a local experienced turner could answer these questions I am sure.
On the AAW site, under Membership / Find a Member (need to be logged in), you can search by state - that's as specific as you can search, but you can then page through the list and see what city they're in.

The AAW site is glacially slow right now (like 1 or 1.5 minutes per page), but eventually you should be able to find someone...

Robert, be careful in bringing wood from one state into Utah. Check your regulations. Best resource would be your state agriculture department. There is the possibility of introducing an unwanted critter. Many campgrounds now require firewood to be certified with treatment to kill any unwanted guests. The days of using your own wood is not feasible.

Hello Robert, yes, you can learn a lot from viewing video's and reading. Most how to video's on woodturning are very informative and many are made from knowledgeable turners on this forum. Hope this helps.

Good morning Lamar,
I know, I've learned quite a bit just from YouTube videos already.
The internet is so great, at least for somethings, we should all be grateful to Al Gore for inventing it. Ha!

On the AAW site, under Membership / Find a Member (need to be logged in), you can search by state - that's as specific as you can search, but you can then page through the list and see what city they're in.

The AAW site is glacially slow right now (like 1 or 1.5 minutes per page), but eventually you should be able to find someone...
Good day Dave,
That's useful, I will do it later.
Thank you

Robert, be careful in bringing wood from one state into Utah. Check your regulations. Best resource would be your state agriculture department. There is the possibility of introducing an unwanted critter. Many campgrounds now require firewood to be certified with treatment to kill any unwanted guests. The days of using your own wood is not feasible.
Hello John,
No, your right I don't need to be bringing unwanted pests into the state, but if I buy kiln dried lumber from Tennessee or somewhere I think it would be o.k. don't you?
But as you said I will check with a state official first.
I have noticed that a lot of western states including Utah have mandatory boat inspections when coming in, because of water borne pests.
Thanks for cautioning me about the risks.

Welcome aboard. I will echo any would will turn. I have turned dimensional pine but not green. Pine does present some challenges. I have not turned juniper but have seen some pieces turned with it. As to driving to a club we have some who travel 3 hours to our meetings and they say is well worth the effort and a advantage to you is the location at Craft Supplies and you would save on shipping.

Welcome aboard. I will echo any would will turn. I have turned dimensional pine but not green. Pine does present some challenges. I have not turned juniper but have seen some pieces turned with it. As to driving to a club we have some who travel 3 hours to our meetings and they say is well worth the effort and a advantage to you is the location at Craft Supplies and you would save on shipping.
Gerald,
Thanks for the welcome, yes I have decided that when the Timp woodturners have a meeting where people can meet in person I will attend
I haven't been to craft supplies store yet, but I am looking forward to it.
I bet you can get some very nice lumber in Mississippi.
I have already learned some things from the members of this group, thanks again to all of you.

Welcome to the forum! I'm the one that I admitted you here. If you are a AAW member, I should know if you are, LOL, search the main AAW site members directory, I can guarantee you there is a turner closer than 200 miles.
Hello Emiliano,
Thanks for admitting me to the forum, and I did search part way through the members list.
I found a person in Grand Junction, which is only 115 miles away. But he's not active on the forum, so many people seem to join but then they don't participate.
There was another member from Vernal, who posted some pictures of beautiful projects he's done.
So your right, so far I have found members closer than 200 miles.
By the way the Timp woodturners sent me a link to watch your demo of turning a calabash, I really liked it, I have visited Hawaii, but I didn't know what a calabash was until I watched.
So thanks for that also, the history was very interesting.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello Emiliano,
Thanks for admitting me to the forum, and I did search part way through the members list.
I found a person in Grand Junction, which is only 115 miles away. But he's not active on the forum, so many people seem to join but then they don't participate.
There was another member from Vernal, who posted some pictures of beautiful projects he's done.
So your right, so far I have found members closer than 200 miles.
By the way the Timp woodturners sent me a link to watch your demo of turning a calabash, I really liked it, I have visited Hawaii, but I didn't know what a calabash was until I watched.
So thanks for that also, the history was very interesting.
Happy to hear you liked my demo! I always have a lot of fun doing them. I just did demo number 63 of the Covid era. The main AAW directory is the one you want to search. A lot of members do not visit the Forum and or are not members here.

Hi Robert, and welcome.
The Timp club is great. I was a member for a few years and was very involved. I've moved to SLC and it got hard to make the time to go down to Provo.
If you're ever in this area I'm happy to have you over to my shop to talk about sharpening set up, tool selection, or whatever. I also teach private lessons (full and half days). My shop has 3 Vicmarc VL300s set up with appropriate tools and sharpening. I teach a fair amount of bowl turning (natural edge and plain rim) as well as a Pepper grinder class that has been very popular with couples.

The bottom line is I'm always happy to help. DM me and I'll send my cell.

Alan.

Good day,
I am new to turning.
Well I'm not counting turning a lazy Susan that I made over 50 years ago in high school, which I still have.

But it looks like a lot of fun, so why not try it.
I am hoping there might be someone in my area that I could ask advice from.
The closest chapter seems to be up in Provo, Utah.
I've watched a few YouTube videos, and I think lidded boxes and bowls would be nice for gifts, and to keep some for ourselves.
I looked at the gallery here and everything is extraordinary, such talented people.
Hi Robert
There is a great club in Las Vegas, Nv. that meets once a month at the wood store. That may be a bit closer for you.

Back