• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ron Ashworth

As the heading says I am a newbie to turning wood. My name is Ron I have been working wood ( or is it working me? ) For many years. I just started trying to teach myself to turn. The wife bought me a set of turning tools a year or so ago for a birthday or Christmas. Several months ago I bought a Nova midi lathe with a four jaw chuck and began destroying what ever blocks of wood I could find or glue up.

Purchased a Rikon slow speed grinder with 8 inch white wheels 80 and 180 I believe, also a Oneway sharpening set up, I know I need to keep sharp tools. I have turned a pen blank or two also a couple of honey dippers and a wooden mallet.

Looking to try some tops or candle sticks but have not really been able to spend enough time at the lathe. I have some cherry and oak boards to glue up and several Bradford pear logs and branches to cut down and turn. Just wanted to introduce myself to the group.

Welcome to the forum. Make friends with tree services in your area. Some turners have rescued outstanding wood from firewood piles.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome Ron.
You might visit a local chapter of AAW if you get a chance.
Ohio has 5 chapters and several more are not too far over the line in neighboring states.

Most all AAW chapter welcome guests and most have various programs to help new turners.
Most of us struggled on our own and when we discovered we could learn from other turners or skills advanced rapidly. And then we began helping others...

Look here for chapters.
http://www.woodturner.org/search/newsearch.asp

I have attended several Northeast Ohio Wood Turners meetings the last few months even won a few raffle prizes! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more speakers and meeting experienced turners. The group seems very friendly and helpful. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure that I can learn a ton and make a few friends along the way.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have attended several Northeast Ohio Wood Turners meetings the last few months even won a few raffle prizes! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more speakers and meeting experienced turners. The group seems very friendly and helpful. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure that I can learn a ton and make a few friends along the way.
Great to hear you are connected.

The local chapters are one on the greatest AAW benifits.
Chapters were created as a way to make an outreach into the community and way to have locally directed learning programs throughout the year to go with the annual AAW Symposium.

Back