• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ron Shaffer

I’m new to the AAW. I’ve been truly turning for the last 3 years. I did learn to turn in jr high in the 80’s and always want to get a lathe. A few years ago I took a beginners turning class and bought a cheap mini lathe and started turning pens. Since then I bought a 10” Turncraft Commander with the money I made selling pens that I made. I wanted to upgrade and start turning bowls and larger items so I took an intermediate class learning to turn bowls, boxes and platters. Today I received and assembled a new Rikon 70 3040. I’m looking to gain more knowledge on turning the larger items. I time I want to start doing segmented pieces too. My granddaughter has already claimed my Turncraft Commander, she has already turned a few pens and loves turning. Her older brother has my first lathe and wants to learn to turn. also

Attachments

• IMG_0457.jpeg
    IMG_0457.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 2
Welcome, Ron! You will find a wealth of knowledge here and people willing to share that knowledge.

That 3040 is a beast. I bought the 70-1824 (just got it on Tuesday) because I couldn't justify the extra money for the 3040. I am a big fan of Rikon tools.

Welcome, Ron! You will find a wealth of knowledge here and people willing to share that knowledge.

That 3040 is a beast. I bought the 70-1824 (just got it on Tuesday) because I couldn't justify the extra money for the 3040. I am a big fan of Rikon tools.
I was going to get a smaller lathe but my wife told me to get the one I really wanted so I would need to buy another one ever.

I was going to get a smaller lathe but my wife told me to get the one I really wanted so I would need to buy another one ever.
I was also advised by me wife to get the lathe that will allow me to turn larger stuff. I now have a Laguna 1830, but I’m getting the extension that will allow me to turn up to 24”. Good luck with the new lathe.

Back