• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ross Scott

Hi there folks, I found this forum through google searches when looking for information on various woodturning related subjects and also through watching videos on you tube from members such as Mike Peace. I live in the north island of New Zealand I work in the earthmoving and road building industry as a heavy machinery operator.

I took up wood turning just over a year ago and pretty much self taught. I started with a lathe that was given to me by my stepfather which I only ever intended on using to make handles for vintage carpentry chisels that I was buying and restoring but the wood turning bug got me and I very quickly out grew that lathe when my interest in bowl turning and hollow forming started to develop, I currently use an MC1018 mini lathe (cheap and nasty) and currently in the process of upgrading that to a Tekanatool Nova 1624 series II which I will have in the next couple of weeks. For me I have found wood turning to be good for controlling my stress and anxiety levels and I always look forward to getting out to my lathe.

Wood turners that I have been following on you tube are Alan Batty (skew techniques), Stuart Batty, Mike Peace and Cindy Drozda to name a few and have learnt alot through watching those videos..

I have also included a some photos of some of my work hope you like it.

Left to right hollowform from unknown wood species, Acacia, Spalted and burled apple wood vase
IMG_20200828_210358[1].jpg
Salt and pepper shakers made from Jarrah
20200830_082904[1].jpg

Miniature vase made from plum which was a gift for my freinds little girl
101642526_1157360944597213_117516704719831040_n.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Ross. Very nice pieces you have there. Turners here will help answer any questions that you might have about woodturning. Happy turning!

Thank you for the welcomes and the compliments on my work that I have recieved so far it is highly appreciated, All of my wood is sourced from a farm that is owned by some friends of mine where trees have been laying on the ground for many years my favourite piece out of the ones I shared on this thread is the apple wood vase as it was my first time dealing with burls and punky wood and was a very good learning experience good part is I have more of that wood, the piece that is of unknown wood species came from a log I found on the side of a back road and took home.

Welcome!
Lots of terrific woodturners in NZ.
Yes there are some awesome woodturners over here and some of them have given me some really good advice since I started turning wood in terms of what I could have done with different pieces and also saved me from wasting money on unecessary items. The woodturning community over here is very supportive.

Back