• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Roughing and drying green soft maple blanks for winged emerging bowls

I have a bunch of green soft maple to rough turn or prep as is for drying. I would like to make some winged emerging bowls and wonder which method is likely to be successful.

1.Rough out the the shape including the wings, Anchor Seal and dry. Concern is the long wings will take much long to dry than the bowl shape and cracks will develop

2. Don't turn now, Anchor Seal the half round log (pith has been cut out) and let them dry for a year or more

3. Turn it to completion now (single turning). I have not done this style turning and sanding the wings seems daunting.

Which is the best method? Or is there another process? I got the photo below from the gallery, turned by Allen Axelopulus in 2007 (thank you sir). It is similar to what I would like to end up with.

1708354849579.png

I haven't made one in a long time, but my best recollection is that we turned them green to finished. I checked Rudy Lopez' web site and in his handout on winged bowls, he doesn't mention whether it's green or dry. Maybe in one of his club demos, which you can access for a small fee, he covers that.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Turn it to completion now (single turning). I have not done this style turning and sanding the wings seems daunting.
Try to find a Rudy Lopez demo video

What I do is - very little sanding on the lathe
Just the areas where sanding off the lathe is too difficult
I would sand where the bowl meets the wing top and bottom bowl and wing to 320
Abranet works great on wet wood
If you have a foot detail sand that on the lathe too.

I’ve done a number of them and have always done them in one turning.

Once turned, I keep them in a paper bag with shavings to slow the drying time down and have generally not had problems with cracking or checking.

The bowl part gets sanded on the lathe while the wings get done off the lathe.

Attached is my favorite of all the ones I’ve done so far. Best of luck!!

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6486.jpeg
    IMG_6486.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6488.jpeg
    IMG_6488.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 19
I turned a bunch of square bowls with thin wings, some emerging bowls, but most not, here are a few samples of the types I turned.

Basically all got turned from green wood and dried in my brown paper bag routine, (no shavings or anything else with it) power sanding wings while holding the bowl with my hand (in the chuck) finish power sanding the rest after that.

These two were rounded the lower one later and opened up.

square bowls.jpg

The top one is a one piece double winged bowl, bottom one a crotch turned with thin wings.

Square bowl.jpg

Here is a thin winged HF that is like an Apple floating in the water ;-))

Floating Apple hf.jpg

This is the regular emerging bowl that I turned for a while but few takers for those.

Siberian Elm square bowl.jpg

Last edited:
Try to find a Rudy Lopez demo video

What I do is - very little sanding on the lathe
Just the areas where sanding off the lathe is too difficult
I would sand where the bowl meets the wing top and bottom bowl and wing to 320
Abranet works great on wet wood
If you have a foot detail sand that on the lathe too.
Thank you all for the recommendations! I found some Rudy Lopez demonstration videos and nice handouts on his website

I turned a bunch of square bowls with thin wings, some emerging bowls, but most not, here are a few samples of the types I turned.

Basically all got turned from green wood and dried in my brown paper bag routine, (no shavings or anything else with it) power sanding wings while holding the bowl (in the chuck) finish turning the rest after that.

These two were rounded the lower one later and opened up.

View attachment 60730

The top one is a one piece double winged bowl, bottom one a crotch turned with thin wings.

View attachment 60731

Here is a thin winged HF that is like an Apple floating in the water ;-))

View attachment 60732

This is the regular emerging bowl that I turned for a while but few takers for those.

View attachment 60733
Thank you Leo, I am headed to the shop to do a rough turn and bag method!

Square bowl.jpg
Leo, I gotta give you a "Wow" on that one!

Back