• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

RPB PAPR/Respirator Thumbs Up

Last week I purchased and received RPB PAPR Kit 16-019-21-FR via eBay. With only ten months of woodturning experience I'd never used a PAPR before. As there seems to be less content available regarding manufacturer RPB, I want to say I'm very happy with my unit so far. I've only used it twice and want to point out the actual PAPR is not current model PX5, but prior model PX4. I've found the airflow and comfort to be more than adequate for my needs as a hobbyist. Twice I reached out to RPB Support during my search for a PAPR and both times was very pleased with their response. If I could change one thing with my kit, it would be to replace the neck shroud with a smaller face seal (I'm looking into that). While all PAPRs seem to have their pluses and minuses, if you're in the market I'd suggest checking out RPB as performance is strong and very competitive prices can be found. To state what I hope is obvious, I have no economic ties to the company or any seller/distributor of their products.

Thanks for being "the other" RPB user here.:D
I bought the PX4 - and love the Z-Link helmet, its balance, comfort and practical features . BTW - if you have not ...tho it is pricey - the "chin mounted" LED light is incredibly bright, and swivels so that you can aim it to shine where you want while turning. It is better than any other lathe mounted lamp I have used. I do have the Zytec FR Shoulder Cape. I chose this because it give me good protection from shavings getting into my shirt - but the options are dizzying in their number ( https://www.rpbsafety.com/industrial/respirators/z-link/build. )

I had really frustration with the "ergonomics" of the PX4 - in that changing the battery and getting the battery on and off of the charger was very difficult for me. That is just me. Maybe nothing to anyone else. I called RPB, they listened - then offered me an up-grade to the PX5 that was something I could not turn down. It was not free - but it was a very affordable discounted price that no other manufacturer would likely do.

So, I am an RPB Safety "early adopter" in woodturning - as are you. If I can do anything to help you with yours please let me know.

***Declarative statement*** I have no affiliation with the manufacturer, any distributors thereof nor do I receive any remuneration from anyone connected to RPB Safety.

RPB is a great unit. I almost got one, but got the Sundstrom SR-500, with 570 helmet because of the value and its reputation. I'm VERY happy with it, but know I would have been just as happy with the RPB unit, especially with the helmet that is very similar to the Versaflo unit. Congrats Lawrence and Tim on on your PAPR units. It will save your lungs, and keep you safe during all that dust creation that comes with woodturning.

Sundstrom was one I looked at as well. But, I like to "full shroud" effect of the Z-Link top ( helmet ). Too many wood chips in the ear with the Sundstrom type of helmet for me. I have a couple of JSP Powercaps the have the around the face and under the chin seal. They are comfortable - but I still loved up my shirt and ears with chips.Tried the Trend also...too top heavy, and same effect with wood shavings in ears, clothes etc. The full helmet and shroud are pretty comfy, and the helmet padding adjustability has been a pleasure and surprise. These things have all come a long way since the early days of industrial only design....and - ALL of them are light years ahead in safety as well comfort as opposed to a flimsy face shield.....:)

I have two Trend units, and have now been using the Sundstrom for about 6 months. I don't remember having ever gotten wood chips in my ears, since I began turning in 2006 with my first set of table legs. Makes me wonder about the differences in our stance at the lathe and techniques, etc. Just an observation, Tim. Each individual has developed in some unique ways. I agree with you that they are light years ahead of a face shield alone.

Yes, in fact I do have an ENT doc...He's very good! A visit last year to him is one reason I decided to go to a higher level of protection from the Trend AS-Pro to the Sundstrom SR-500 with 570 helmet. My ears were fine! ;-)

I use good dust collection , especially when sanding. I have my dust collector hose against the lathe bed with a bungee cord to take away dust, and also use an overhead air cleaner with an outer filter, and an inner filter, which scrubs the air. That seems to keep dust out of my ears! ;-)

Mine was a bit surprised at the amount of "debris" that he found and I.D. it as wood particles. I assure you, I am a clean freak and clean my ears daily - but, perhaps mine just manage to collect stuff. (Can ears be "hoarders"?)
Depending on how you are 'cleaning' your ears, you may be shoving stuff farther in. (have you noticed that a Q tip looks a lot like those things 18th/19th century soldiers used to tamp the powder charge in artillery canons?) Almost certainly you are interfering with the normal ear canal self cleaning system. i.e. wax is there to get foreign matter to stick to it and then fall out. My recommendation to people over the years was not to put anything smaller than their elbow in their ear, but I'm just a humble country doc, so what do I know?

Tried the elbow Doc. Led to shoulder surgery. And...I have heard that old expression a lot, but - really what is a good alternative to the swabs? NO one has a humorous answer for that...?:D
There are little plastic loop or spoon gadgets that have a flange to keep you from sticking it in too deeply. Not sure where they can be found. If you have to get after the wax, it's at least a reasonably safe method.

Back