• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Russ Knudsen

I really don't know how to get involved in the forum. Sounds like Greek to me. I have been a self-taught woodworker for over 30 years. Everything I have done, cabinets, furniture has been from reading, experiments, and ouch!!. I started turning a couple of years ago with my father-in-law's Craftsman and I burnt up the motor. I am now turning out about 10 or more bowls a week from whatever wood I can get my hands on. Love It. My wood is always local. Aspen, Pine, Russian Olive, Birch, Juniper, and anything I can get my hands on. I have no access to a local group, but I am learning a lot from being a member of AAW. My main problem is knowing what I can put on my bowls that is not toxic. I think most finishes, once they have been cured are nontoxic. I NEED TO KNOW. How do you know?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
you're correct most finishes once cured are pretty much non-toxic. However, bear in mind that any finish that cures to a hard coating, can chip away (and you don't really want those little chips in your food, do you?) So for the most part for food safe finishes I'll go to naturals (Tried & true linseed oil & beeswax is my personal favorite) , mineral oil, cutting board oil, board butter, (pretty much anything you can use on cutting boards will be safe for bowls, too) Many bowls, you can just sand to a high grit (600, 1000, 1500) to gi v e the wood its own natural shiny polish , and then just leave it unfinished, as well. (or just rub in some beeswax or a light wipe down with food grade mineral oil from your local dollar store pharmacy aisle - Mineral oil sold as a laxative, can be mixed with beeswax and sold as board butter)

And, BTW welcome to AAW. Sounds like your path to woodturning pretty much followed mine...

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Russ.

For treenware (wooden dishware and utensils used for food preparation and serving), I use walnut oil and USP mineral oil, My favorite walnut oil is La Tourangelle (found in grocery stores and online). I also use Mahoney's walnut oil.

I don't use any kind of hard film finish because moisture will get beneath the film which will lead to discoloration of the wood and deterioration of the finish.

I tried Waterlox on some of my recent bowels and really like how they look. Will the tung oil mix have the same problem with a poly finish?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I tried Waterlox on some of my recent bowels and really like how they look. Will the tung oil mix have the same problem with a poly finish?
I suspect that it would, but you should post that question in the Woodturning Discussion Forum where it would get greater visibility. The Introductions Forum isn't a Q&A forum and, unfortunately, many forum members don’t visit this forum.

I really don't know how to get involved in the forum.
Welcome. Sounds like you know how to do some things with lathe tools, but aren’t up to speed with terminology. Turn a Wood Bowl might be a good site and his utube vids to help some with terminology. There are many other sources, post a question in Getting Started for good sites to visit for terminology. The added difficulty is people will use different terms for the same thing. Just takes some time and studying.

Posting questions and posting in threads gets you involved in the forum. You can also post pics of your work in the user gallery.

Back