• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety Shields

What material, dimensions, and thickness, of plastic/glass was the safety shields made from used in the demo rooms in Tampa?

John, I see that your question has not been answered. I don't know the answer, but if you send an email to Phil McDonald, AAW's executive director, he can direct you to the right person. phil@woodturner.org

Betty Scarpino, editor, American Woodturner

"Can You See Me Better Now?" by Deryl Duer

Thanks, Rick. That article indeed appeared in the June 2012 issue, on pages 18-19. That issue again is available in the members' section, provided in two PDF formats - regular and with OCR [optical character recognition] for screenreaders.

Sharon Bierman
Interim Webmaster
aaw.sharon@gmail.com
614-899-3755

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Hi John!

I am just getting caught up on a backlog of messages.....

The Safety Screen that is used as part of the demonstration unit for the AAW Symposia for the last two years is made from 1/4" thick polycarbonate plastic (Lexan is one of the trademarks associated with this type of plastic). The vertical and horizontal dimensions are not critical, but should be sufficient to cover the "line of fire' near the headstock, as well as a bit down he lathe bed to deflect chips generated during turning. The size of the AAW screens was dictated somewhat by the limits on the extruded parts of the structure, and the ability to have these units break-down for shipping, so in your application, the size of the clear polycarbonate screen can be chosen to accommodate the size of your support system.

If you can look at the June 2012 issue of American Woodturner, there is an article by Deryl Duer which explains the general set-up and design of the units which are assembled from extruded aluminum pieces, fittings and quick connect bolts, etc.

Deryl Duer (Franklin, Kentucky) was the main architect for these units and you might try to contact him for details - I believe his information is available in the Member's Area (log-in first), Click on 'Member Directory' and type-in his name.

I'll make a note to try to get these plans put-up on the web site under 'Resources'.... as soon as we can.

I hope this helps!

Rob Wallace

Last edited:
Back