• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Safety

Sky

Safety is something we should all be on constant alert for. Three members of my turning club were injured fairly serious in the last few months (not counting someone I know who's shirt became c/a glued to his left nipple when cutting into a glue pocket. He shall remain nameless). One was hollowing with a scraper extended far over the tool rest that broke off at the handle cutting him deeply from above the middle knuckle to the 2nd knuckle on his left hand. The next was roughing an out of round blank when her tool bounced loose. She reached to grab it, hitting the spinning wood which drove her hand down into the tool rest cutting the end of her pinkie badly. And the 3rd was going to carve with a 4" Kutz-all grinding/carver on a Die grinder. He cradled it in his arm, plugged it in only to find the switch was on, and it carved its way up his bicep. These were all upper intermediate to very experienced turners (except for the c/a glue incident) with 3 to over 12 years of experience. May all of you have many happy safe hours of turning.

And is as almost always the case, all three injuries might have been avoided with care and attention (except for maybe the nipple one).

We all have our moments of inattention, acting without thought, or pushing it just a bit too far. Luckilly, most of the time it only results in an "oops". I'm sad to hear that your club suffered three such "oops" situations that resulted in real injury.

I do hope everyone will be OK and that the club as a whole is safer for their sacrifices.

Dietrich

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just posted a safety warning to stay out of the line of fire when turning bowls and hollow vessels. I had one blow up on me. Wood looked sound and I didn't hear any funny noises. Fortunately I was turning slightly to the rear of the bowl which is my usual stance. The piece just missed my head because I was out of the line of fire or the line of trajectory if you prefer.
I don't ever work when tired. Too easy to make those silly mistakes that usually just hurt the work but could just as easily end up like your friends accidents.
I try to stay scared of my angle grinder. I figure if I ever take it for granted it will bite me and I usually use a chainsaw cutter on it so it won't be nice. I have a good friend who was cutting a nail of a log with an angle grinder. The cutter exploded and cut off his little finger.
Be careful, always. If you work in wood long enough (not just turning) an accident will happen. If you followed all the safety rules maybe it will be a minor mishap. So far I've been lucky. before I moved there was a piece of plywood over my table saw with a nasty curved gouge that simply had the words "Think" written on it. I could have lost a thumb in that accident but forunately my hands were on top of the wood as it flew across the blade.

Website
www.seantroy.com
Here is a little tip my surgeon let me in on after re-attaching two fingers on my left hand several years ago. Instead of standing in front of a band saw when cutting bowl blanks, stand on the right side of the saw and do your cutting from that side. It would be very hard for the hand to come in contact with the blade that way. Try it and you'll see how well it works. I only cut from that side now.

Not trying to make light of this thread, all the safety tips were good and we should always practice what we preach on "safety first".

:) BUT . . . gluing a shirt to your nipple is just too funny to not mention. I laughed 'til I had tears running just thinking about it (of course I was not the one trying to peel the shirt off). Just imagine trying to explain that one in the ER!

woodwish said:
Not trying to make light of this thread, all the safety tips were good and we should always practice what we preach on "safety first".

:) BUT . . . gluing a shirt to your nipple is just too funny to not mention. I laughed 'til I had tears running just thinking about it (of course I was not the one trying to peel the shirt off). Just imagine trying to explain that one in the ER!

Sort of makes the case for having some debonder around, eh? I actually keep several small bottles of it at strategic points around the shop, one being within arm's reach of the lathe. :D

As I've said before and Mark points out, never glue yourself to something too large to lift. An saying to live by.

Dietrich :D

Sky

My c/a challanged friend had no debonder so he made a couple phone calls to us know it-alls to find out what to do :confused: . Several solutions were "suggested" :D all painful (our stomachs hurt from laughing so hard), until one kind soul provided the needed debonder.

Back