• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sam Fleisher

Hello all

Thank you for having me. I bought my lathe 4-5 years ago and then life got in the way. I've been getting back into it and I'm amazed at what I have to relearn!

It's going to take me awhile to soak up some knowledge and then get some experience so that I don't embarrass myself when I do ask questions.

I hope to find a club in my area to get some one on one and that's part of the reason for joining here because I think some members are in the Galesburg Il. area. There is a woodworking club/ co-op in town I know and I just missed the turning classes there I think. Hopefully I can get the next one.

Sam F.

Howdy and welcome from Texas! What kind of lathe do you have? Go ahead a post any questions you have. Lot's of knowledgeable folks around to help.

Thank you,

I have a grizzly g0766. I'm finding that it's true what I had read a long time ago that the lathe is the least of the expense.

I've been acquiring traditional gouges as I go and then I need to upgrade my dust collection and then etc. Well, you know how that goes.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on the for sale section that's for sure. Should have joined a long time ago and probably gotten some better equipment cheaper!

Sam F.

Welcome. It would be a fair hike for you, but I strongly suggest checking out the Quad Cities Woodturners https://www.qcwoodturners.org/
I have seen that club online, like you said it is a ways for me to get there. My address is Maquon but I'm actually right outside the big City of Rapatee. (roughly 20 miles south of Galesburg)

The woodworking club in Galesburg would be great if I lived in town and needed tools though. They are pretty well set up from what I saw the other day. I think it's geared more for the people that don't have a shop though.

Welcome to the forum Sam! Looking forward to seeing your pieces in the future.
I wet turned a small something or other last night that I hope to post and let it be critiqued once I'm done with it.

Trying something different this go around, usually I'm impatient and don't get stellar results with the finish. I'm going to let this dry a little and then sand and finish.. Novel approach right?

Howdy and welcome from Texas! What kind of lathe do you have? Go ahead a post any questions you have. Lot's of knowledgeable folks around to help.
Howdy back at you!

Beginner situation here, I have a 5/8 thompson bowl gouge on the way to go along with my 1/2 Thompson bg. Thompson big inside scraper (scares me sometimes like a skew) and a med and small spindle gouge thompson also.

I also have the standard set of Benjamin best to beat on and a sorby thin kerf parting. And a cheapy full size carbide radius square,diamond and round.

I think I'm good for awhile as far as tools. Unless you think there is something a beginner can't live without? I also have the wolverine sharpening.

My question is what should be the next logical purchase to make everything work better? I only have one chuck (grizzly) with three sets of jaws that I only use the middle size because I'm only turning small stuff mostly.

My wish list is: cbn wheels-- paper filter for the dust collector-- bigger chuck/better-- hollowing system-- coring system.

I think I would get the best use out of a better/bigger chuck but on the other hand a better dust collector would be healthier and then the cbn wheels.

A buddy had some downed catalpa trees with a couple of burls so I'm going to be stepping up in size hopefully. Catalpa stinks though.

eeny meeny miney mo?

I think the next step is a sharpening system. You will probably get a lot of opinions on this. I use the Robert Sorby Pro-Edge and I'm very happy with that system. Works like a champ.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Howdy back at you!

Beginner situation here, I have a 5/8 thompson bowl gouge on the way to go along with my 1/2 Thompson bg. Thompson big inside scraper (scares me sometimes like a skew) and a med and small spindle gouge thompson also.

I also have the standard set of Benjamin best to beat on and a sorby thin kerf parting. And a cheapy full size carbide radius square,diamond and round.

I think I'm good for awhile as far as tools. Unless you think there is something a beginner can't live without? I also have the wolverine sharpening.

My question is what should be the next logical purchase to make everything work better? I only have one chuck (grizzly) with three sets of jaws that I only use the middle size because I'm only turning small stuff mostly.

My wish list is: cbn wheels-- paper filter for the dust collector-- bigger chuck/better-- hollowing system-- coring system.

I think I would get the best use out of a better/bigger chuck but on the other hand a better dust collector would be healthier and then the cbn wheels.

A buddy had some downed catalpa trees with a couple of burls so I'm going to be stepping up in size hopefully. Catalpa stinks though.

eeny meeny miney mo?
You have quite a lot of what you need to get going, but I'd recommend first an in-person class with an expert before splurging on a hollowing system or coring system - Focus on one aspect of turning until you can get "pretty good" with it and build confidence.

After that probably consider your safety gear (face shield, PAPR, respirator, etc) , since I notice you don't mention that, and it can get pretty pricey by itself (but still far cheaper than an E.R. visit)

You may or may not enjoy hollowing (Or epoxy/Acrylic turning, or other "facets" of lathe work) and as far as coring goes, you'll want a pretty robustly powered lathe I think (at least 1 HP if not more), and may or may not find you enjoy bowl turning in the first place -
So, I'd say probably spend some time learning one thing (and your tools and grinds, and the basics) first and see where that takes you.

I had several things on my list as well when I started out, and very glad I did not splurge on the various systems to do them before I'd tried some of the basics (For one thing, I discovered I really do not like turning epoxy/resin/acrylics, so I'm glad I didn't spend money on a pressure pot and casting stuff, and so on)

You might find you get more joy in spindle turning (at which point, specialized bowl turning stuff sits and gathers dust) , or maybe you rather do boxes (which may lead you to learning thread chasing) - hard to say, until you try them, but some of those can be difficult to really experience properly until you have a firm hold of the basics (sharpening, tool control, sanding, finishing, grain orientation, favorite methods of work holding, etc) You wouldn't need a dust collector really, if you only do turning, and get a PAPR and one of those air filters (Dust collector would be more useful if you also do flat work, but just for turning, they'd quickly fill up if using for chips/shavings, and take forever to fill up if only collecting sanding dust- a wet/dry shop vac might do nicely for that as well)

Got a lathe, tools, and a way to sharpen them. Get some turning under your belt and the next accessories you need to buy will become self evident.

How are you going to source your wood? This is some pecan and ash that I processed yesterday. Chainsaw and bandsaw are some other power tools associated with this craft
2022 - 1 (2).jpeg

You have quite a lot of what you need to get going, but I'd recommend first an in-person class with an expert before splurging on a hollowing system or coring system - Focus on one aspect of turning until you can get "pretty good" with it and build confidence.

After that probably consider your safety gear (face shield, PAPR, respirator, etc) , since I notice you don't mention that, and it can get pretty pricey by itself (but still far cheaper than an E.R. visit)

You may or may not enjoy hollowing (Or epoxy/Acrylic turning, or other "facets" of lathe work) and as far as coring goes, you'll want a pretty robustly powered lathe I think (at least 1 HP if not more), and may or may not find you enjoy bowl turning in the first place -
So, I'd say probably spend some time learning one thing (and your tools and grinds, and the basics) first and see where that takes you.

I had several things on my list as well when I started out, and very glad I did not splurge on the various systems to do them before I'd tried some of the basics (For one thing, I discovered I really do not like turning epoxy/resin/acrylics, so I'm glad I didn't spend money on a pressure pot and casting stuff, and so on)

You might find you get more joy in spindle turning (at which point, specialized bowl turning stuff sits and gathers dust) , or maybe you rather do boxes (which may lead you to learning thread chasing) - hard to say, until you try them, but some of those can be difficult to really experience properly until you have a firm hold of the basics (sharpening, tool control, sanding, finishing, grain orientation, favorite methods of work holding, etc) You wouldn't need a dust collector really, if you only do turning, and get a PAPR and one of those air filters (Dust collector would be more useful if you also do flat work, but just for turning, they'd quickly fill up if using for chips/shavings, and take forever to fill up if only collecting sanding dust- a wet/dry shop vac might do nicely for that as well)
I have a face shield and a respirator that I use, just didn't mention because I hope that's considered a given. I would like a papr but it falls under the more than I want to spend right now.
Classes are on my list there just isn't any going on right now that I've found.

Got a lathe, tools, and a way to sharpen them. Get some turning under your belt and the next accessories you need to buy will become self evident.

How are you going to source your wood? This is some pecan and ash that I processed yesterday. Chainsaw and bandsaw are some other power tools associated with this craft
View attachment 49064
I have a small 14 inch stihl that I use and I kick myself for not buying a bandsaw back when I bought my lathe because like everything else they have went up in price.

There was a big storm two or three years ago and lots of trees got blown down in the area. That's where I'm getting the catalpa from. They were in my buddies yard and he just piled them to the side in a pile so I can cut out of those. There is some Kentucky coffee tree? too. Is that wood any good?

My cherry I'm messing with is coming from a blown down tree in a fence row. It's got some worm and rot to it though.

Sounds like you need to learn how to rough turn and dry wood. There are lots of posts on this subject but if you need help just ask away. As Monty said the next tool will either be inspired by a demo you see or it will " be self evident". Don't be in a big rush , but making a list does help set priorities.

Sounds like you need to learn how to rough turn and dry wood. There are lots of posts on this subject but if you need help just ask away. As Monty said the next tool will either be inspired by a demo you see or it will " be self evident". Don't be in a big rush , but making a list does help set priorities.
I call it the "Curse of You Tube" . I see something there......That looks pretty neat! I should try that! Some of the people on there make it look really easy so you think no problem. I forget to factor in experience when I watch them. Of course on the flip side I have seen videos where the "experienced" person shouldn't be posting where a newbie could see it because of the safety things done wrong.

As a fellow new turner I’m with you on the “Curse of YouTube”, there are so many interesting projects I‘ve seen and want to try! It's difficult to slow down and focus on just one aspect of turning, I feel like a kid in a candy store most days.

Dust Collection - depends on your situation, but it sounds like the lathe may be the only tool you need dc for. I find my ~1-1/2 hp hf more than adequate. A 1-1/2hp dc will run on 120v. With a good paper filter and a single hose it will collect dust (not chips). Several brands to choose from. Anything to keep the dust from floating around.

Back