• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding NE Bowls

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I assume NE means Natural Edge. I power sand them with the lathe off. I use either indexing or on the Powermatic a wooden wedge between the motor and handwheel. I find sanding with the lathe on it's too easy to make one edge too thin. by sanding with the lathe off I can control the edge thickness accurately and can also sand any bad areas. It's also easier to check for any sanding marks.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
Sean, I had a Sioux angle drill with a 2" velcro sanding pad which worked quite well for the inside of a NE without catching on or rounding over the edge.
With the bowl spinning at a very slow speed, start inside the bowl and sneak up on the edge, but don't try to do the uppermost edge under lathe power. Take the pad out of the drill and hold it in your hand for that. I do that all the time now anyway, since my drill was stolen!

My methods received poor reviews last time I presented them here, but none of the people disparaging them had actual experience, since they used words like "I can see" and "I can imagine" in their critique. Given a trial run it is obvious that you are continuing the process of turning with a broad but somewhat flexible edged scraper. These are of full contact sanding, but there is both motion and sound. http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/...t=SettingBottom.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3 Note I can use the center of the paper on a convex surface to equalize the wear. Can't avoid using the edge heavily on concave surfaces.

You tilt for contact center and below center on the disk when sanding interrupted edges, for obvious reasons, and the support of the toolrest makes it easy to sand with the lightest of touch and tightest control. You don't get the bounce you can get with no support as you transition from wood to air and back again. You let slight flex in the disk take care of that, which keeps you from rounding edges. I use the Power Lock disks, and would not recommend sanding lathe off with them, as they're extremely aggresive, albeit long-lasting. If you use softer stuff it's really important to guard against hitting them on top, because you can ruin the paper with one catch.

Great benefit of the method I use is preserving circularity, because the lathe is running and the pressure is just enough to make dust. Great drawback is if your piece has started to warp significantly since last pass with the gouge, you'll pass over some spots untouched.

Almost embarrassed to show this, as it seems to show me sanding a hogged surface, but my photographer, ever impatient, wanted to get the pictures and go. Normally I would make a couple of smoothing and fairing passes with the gouge, of course. As I did with this piece after SWMBO went upstairs. Second picture is of the flexible edge version of Power Locks, used in closer quarters and against tighter curves.

Attachments

• Sand-In.jpg
    Sand-In.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 300
  • Flex-Edge-2.jpg
    Flex-Edge-2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 302
Website
www.vinceswoodnwonders.com
Hi Sean,
I recommend sanding the edge with the lathe stopped. I either power sand or use my Random Orbital Sander. I will go through my grits and bring the sanding line down past the natural edge(NE). Once that is complete, I will begin sanding with the lathe running at no more than 400-500 RPM to finish. Again going through all my grits. My site is up and you are welcome to contact me if I can help you www.vinceswoodnwonders.com

Vince

Attachments

• Sept 7 2006 006.jpg
    Sept 7 2006 006.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 288

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Sean, I sand as much as I can with the lathe spinning the wood, meaning that I sand the continuous parts of the wood only. After that, it is all off the lathe, or sort of off the lathe. Often I will put a Jacob's chuck in the headstock and install a sanding disk in the chuck, using the variable speed of the lathe to control the speed of the disk. That way I can get comfortable and sit at the lathe with the bowl in both hands, presenting those parts that need sanding with lots of control.

Since people are posting examples, I will follow suit.

Bill

Attachments

• blacklocustcrotch02.jpg
    blacklocustcrotch02.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 170
Back