• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sanding the inside of hollow forms or vases

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I made a short video to show one of my favorite features of the Vermec hollowing system. The complete system comes with 3 sanding attachments, different sizes. You simply attach it where the cutter goes. Putting your hand inside a hollow form, or a vase is not a safe thing to do. Yes, I do know there are lots of other options to do this. Lots of homemade ideas. I have seen several good ones. Like a tennis ball that someone glued some velcro to it. Might be helpful if you show us how you safely sand the inside of your hollow forms.
The link to the video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8t67TDffx0

Aloha.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
I bought a Basic Vermec Hollowing Tool back in 2005. It was a group purchase through our club, but I don't believe it has any sanding attachments. I'm sure I can rig up something! It's still in the box - never used .... out of sight - out of mind!!! :rolleyes: I'll have to go have a look at it.

Just saw this Emiliano. Very cool. I have the Trent Bosch hollowing system which I know you have seen from another thread and I'm using a Lyle Jameson 3/4" boring bar with Hunter cutters. I'd love to have one of these but it appears these are round shank where the Jameson bar's swivel bit holder uses a square shank... Darn!

Can't tell if that is a gas or diesel powered sander...... Vehicle started up as you started. I am curious about this, even if I don't do many hollow forms, it surprises me that it is not an inertial sander, which I would think would be more efficient than stationary sanding pads. Any idea? Still trying to figure out a flex shaft system that would go on an articulated arm and run off of a mini lathe......

robo hippy

Just saw this Emiliano. Very cool. I have the Trent Bosch hollowing system which I know you have seen from another thread and I'm using a Lyle Jameson 3/4" boring bar with Hunter cutters. I'd love to have one of these but it appears these are round shank where the Jameson bar's swivel bit holder uses a square shank... Darn!
@Emiliano Achaval what is the dia of the mounting bar for the sanding heads?

Dave, If it is 3/8”, then it will fit in the holes that the swivel bit holder fits into, straight off the end and at 45 deg on the other end.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I have a really simple solution to sanding my hollow forms. I don't make them :)

One thing I have not tried yet is a 'true' hollow form. I have done some where I undercut the rim of a bowl, but that is a large opening, not so much like what I would consider a true hollow form, with a smaller opening at the top and a wider body.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
@Emiliano Achaval what is the dia of the mounting bar for the sanding heads?

Dave, If it is 3/8”, then it will fit in the holes that the swivel bit holder fits into, straight off the end and at 45 deg on the other end.
I will have to measure, but looks standard…

I am very familiar with this set up its well known down under and widely used. Although prefer the inertia sander with 40mm Velcro sanding head on a universal swivel head the spins on a couple of skateboard bearings. I can extend it outof the handle up to around 400mm this is about as far as I like to go

Attachments

• IMG_2912r.jpg
    IMG_2912r.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2909r.jpg
    IMG_2909r.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 27
Back