• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scott Brandstetter

This is my first post and so glad I have found this forum, have learned a lot already. Been a woodworker for a lot of years and taking my first turning class this Sat. So excited. I've waited for the kids to grow, i.e. move out, and now I'm ready. Hope at some point I'm able to actually give something to this forum as opposed to just taking. Happy New Years.

Scott, contratulations on taking a turning class! That's the best way to improve skills while having fun.

Class was incredible

Guys and Gals
Took my class today at the WoodCraft in Louisville, Ky today. Wow, amazing, incredible. I learned so darn much. Greg taught the class and impressed me so much. Could type so much but I guess the main thing is that i came home with a JET 1442VS and can't wait to wake up in the morning. Have so much to learn and look forward to every minute of it. Have to admit that when I signed up for the class I thought 9-4 was a long darn time. Haven't been in school for quite a while. By the time it was over I was willing to pay more, for more time.

Sorry to ramble, just thought I would share my thoughts. You guys are probably remembering when you were a newbie.......what a feeling.

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
My advice now is to be patient with yourself. By the end of the class you felt pretty confident with your newfound skills; today may be a different story. Give yourself time to develop the muscle memory, understanding of the forces acting on a cut, etc. When you get frustrated, turn off the lathe, walk away for a bit, think through what is happening where the tool interacts with the wood, and don’t hesitate to ask questions and post photos to get input from people who’ve been there.

Back