• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Scott Hoefs

Hi All!
Scott here from Oregon. Like most, I was introduced to turning in middle school, 40 years ago and loved it. 30 years later a coworker donated a turned natural edge Douglas fir burl cap bowl to a work fund raising auction. I saw it and ran down the hall minutes later to talk to him about turning. He led me into the local club and a month later I was an addict. Bought a harbor freight lathe off CL for $80 and a few Sears chisels and turned for almost 3 years without a sharpening system. 80 grit was my friend. With the overwhelming support from my local club I have learned a tremendous amount of skills over the years, which I am still applying and learning. I can't stress how much support knowledge and willingness to educate is out there just waiting for new and old turners to take advantage of. I would also like to encourage everyone to be actively involved with their local club. We all know the story, only a few people are actively involved and rely on others to do the lifting.
Attached are a couple items I have recently finished. Enjoy,

Scott

I look forward to contributing and sharing my experiences and what little I know to this forum in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 17
Back