• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sean DeVore

Hello everyone, my name is Sean, I am new to woodturning. My hobbies are archery and music. I also do metal fabrication, usually out of necessity ;) I just recently purchased a rural home with a shop and some land where I can practice my sport. Shortly afterward a dear friend encountered another hurdle in his fight against MS and as usual, he refused to accept a "donation". So I acquired his Shopsmith under the guise that it will always be his, he is welcome to use it and has first right of refusal if I sell it (which I'll give it back to him first). I hadn't turned wood since high school. One thing I remembered was how much I enjoyed the experience. So I grabbed some old wood and started using this Shopsmith and have been having a blast. I want to learn more about turning safety and technique. I recently purchased two bowl gouges, a 1/2" Crown and a 3/8" V Thompson a Nova 3 chuck, and a live center for the tailstock. I haven't a clue how to use either bowl gouge properly, so I watch a lot of YouTube videos and have joined a woodturning group on Facebook which is where I found out about this organization. I searched your archives and there isn't a club anywhere near me. I was surprised there is only one AAW club in the state of Wyoming. Thank you for allowing me into your group. I have attached a few photos of my newly built workshop within my main shop and the first hickory drumstick that I turned. Oh, and FYI, the Shopsmith came with a skew, parting tool, roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and a 1/2 round scraper, drill chuck, and adapter for tailstock, bandsaw, jointer, disc sander, and table saw with dado adapter.

Drumstick Turning.jpg Drumstick.jpg Shop3.jpg Shopsmith.jpg shop1.jpg

Welcome! The library has a lot of good videos available to members. There is a whole sackful of experienced turners who will willingly share their expertise and experiences.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Welcome!

Good news within the bad news is that a lot of local clubs are meeting virtually, and many, like ours, plan to offer that option in the future even when in-person meetings are again sensible. I'm sure that clubs in or even out of your region would welcome your participation.

Welcome to the forum. Now that you are in with both feet that shop in a shop will be handy
The workshop is great! I do not have to heat the entire shop in the winter. It was originally built to house all the stuff shoved above it when I realized that if I built it where I did and closed it in that I would have an easier workshop to heat. I am getting outlets and can lights installed and then drywall and white paint to keep it bright inside.

Back