• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sean Flannery

I'm a self taught turner after inheriting my father's shopsmith over 15 years ago. I now have a Jet 1221 but am looking to upgrade to a larger lathe where I can focus on bigger bowls and coring. I joined the Charleston, SC woodturners chapter and have made some great friends and learned a lot about turning. I have a shop in the back yard that's 12'x16'. Looking forward to many pleasant exchanges on this forum.

IMG_0530.jpg

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Welcome Sean. You sure live in a pretty part of the state. My brother lives in SC and I've been to Charleston a couple of times. I'm from New Orleans and the similarities always make me feel at home.

By the way, I've been looking at the 1221 a lot and wonder how you like it?

Welcome Sean. You sure live in a pretty part of the state. My brother lives in SC and I've been to Charleston a couple of times. I'm from New Orleans and the similarities always make me feel at home.

A chef from New Orleans and a wood turner - we need to meet! I really like the Jet 1221 and I bought it last year over the 1440 because of the slower starting speed and the reverse capability. I still want them in my new lathe which will be at least a 20" or bigger. The 1221 is sweet and great for bowls up to 11" but unbalanced roughing is tough. I didn't bolt mine to the floor which would help but it is still too small for me. If I had the space I would gladly keep it. Most of my fellow club members in Charleston have big lathes and I'm ready for one now. Look me up when you're in Charleston. I'd love to pick your brain on gumbo and jambalaya. Cheers!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
And I'll pick yours on some shrimp and grits and frogmore stew. Fair is fair. :)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm a self taught turner after inheriting my father's shopsmith over 15 years ago. I now have a Jet 1221 but am looking to upgrade to a larger lathe where I can focus on bigger bowls and coring. I joined the Charleston, SC woodturners chapter and have made some great friends and learned a lot about turning. I have a shop in the back yard that's 12'x16'. Looking forward to many pleasant exchanges on this forum.

View attachment 32838
Welcome to the forum!

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Congrats Sean, on the sale and the new lathe. :)

Back