• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Seated turning - lathes

What lathe do you use for seated turning. I use the Robust Scout on the Universal Stand set all the way down. I do not tilt the lathe - I still use a Jameison style hollowing rig for hollowing which I couldn’t if the lathe were tilted. Here’s my setup. Let’s see yours.
upload_2021-2-20_19-57-36.jpeg

What lathe do you use for seated turning. I use the Robust Scout on the Universal Stand set all the way down. I do not tilt the lathe - I still use a Jameison style hollowing rig for hollowing which I couldn’t if the lathe were tilted. Here’s my setup. Let’s see yours.
View attachment 37408
Hal could you giv e me the height spindle to floor you use or recommend a nominal height to set the height for various turners? Thanks Ray

Hi Ray:
I have a Robust Scout that I purchased used two weeks ago. The lathe spindle’s center is 41.5” above the floor. I am 5’10” and this allows the centerline to be the height of my elbow. Hope this helps.

Back