• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Segement planner for Mac

Hi Jef,

I am a mac user and do not believe that there is a segment planner designed for the mac. However, I do run one by using Virtual PC to run the Windows XP Operating System. If you have one of the newer Intel-based Macs, you should be able to run a Windows Operating system without using Virtual PC to emulate the PC environment. As of today, I believe that those are your choices-hope that you find this helpful.

Matt

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
The Excel spread sheet method works. But a dedicated program no... if I had time I would write one in RealBasic....

Thanks for the help guys. I sort of figured those were the only options. I guess I will have to break down and get the virtual PC software. Maybe this year I can talk the wife into a intel Mac.

Website
www.token.crwoodturner.com
for computer geeks

Jeff,
There is another option available, if you want to try installing Linux on your computer. You can put it on a seperate partition, without affecting the existing install of Mac OS assuming you have enough disk space (3 or more gigabytes).
There are at least 3 different Windows emulators available for Linux, with one (Wine) you can run Windows programs within Linux and with others (Qemu and VmWare) you can boot a Windows system inside of Linux just like VirtualPC.
I recommend Ubuntu Linux as the most user-friendly system.

It may even be possible to run one or all of these 3 programs in Mac OSX, I'm not sure. I know Qemu can, you might want to look into that first. These are all open-source programs, and free.

Back