• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

segmented ring sanding disc for lathe

I'm starting to make more segmented projects. The diameter of my next project exceeds my curent belt/disc sanders capacity. I am thinking of making a sanding disk mounted to a dedicated faceplate. Then using either self adhesive or 3M spray adhesive to mount the paper to it. Overall dimension would be 9", possibly 10".

Is there a particular material that would be good for this or any I should stay away from?

Current plan is 3/4" plywood.

Thanks!

Gerry

Gerry,
I use melamine covered MDF as it's lots easier to apply and remove the sanding discs without tearing up the wood as may be likely on a plywood disk.

I made mine out of MDF with melamine to cover the MDF surface. It makes it easier to remove the sanding disk and helps keep the sanding surface flat.

GA Darling

Website
www.beyondbark.com
If you put the disk on a face plate, mount to your lathe, and then hold you ring to it you may have a tendency to unevenly pressure the ring to the sanding disk resulting in tilted ring.

I think that is what you are trying to do.

Alternate suggestion.

I did something similar. I monuted a 13 round piece of MDF to a face place. mounted it on the lathe to make sure it was balanced and true. Draw 10-15 rings on the MDF while turning. I use this to mount my rings to using double sided pressure tape. the pressure tape will provide good hold. the drawn ring allow me to center correctly. This way i can gently turn flat with a gouge and i don't have to worry about tilted rings. You can also make a sanding board. Mine is about 15in long. I glued 80 grit samd paper to it and i use it to evenly hold aginst the ring mounted on the above device.

Last edited:
Drill press option

I have had success using a 12" mdf disk screwed to a right angle grinder atachment. It is able to be chucked into the drill press. Using the quill lock, you are able to thickness sand. Take a minimal bump of the feed wheel and rotate your piece under the outside edge. Wear a dust mask!

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
gsieracki said:
I'm starting to make more segmented projects. The diameter of my next project exceeds my curent belt/disc sanders capacity. I am thinking of making a sanding disk mounted to a dedicated faceplate.

Ideally, to flatten your segmented turning project rings you would want to use a thickness sander. How about this project to use your lathe as a drum / thickness sander.

Back