• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

September 2022 Challenge: Final Results

Please vote for your choice in the September challenge: Turn a wide-embellished-rim platter

• Bernie Hrytzak

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Bill Kimbell

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Dave Landers

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • David Vannier

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Doug Haas

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Emiliano Achaval

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gabriel Hoff

• Gerald Lawrence

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Jonathan Silwones

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Keith Brown

• Mark Wardle

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Michael Anderson

• Robert Savit

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Ronald Giordano

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Stewart Furini

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Sue Cook

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
The September Turning Challenge was to turn a wide-rimmed platter in which the rim has been embellished. The embellishment was "anything goes": pyrography, paint, carved, beads, whatever! The only thing that would not go is a plain wide rim! How wide, you might ask? That is part of the challenge. A platter has to have a pleasant-looking wide rim in relation to the overall size.

The challenge is now closed and it is now time for all forum members, from beginners to professionals, to vote. You are allowed one vote and once you have voted you won't be able to go back and change your vote. After you have voted you will be able to track the vote totals. The voting is secret (just like a real election) so nobody other than you can see who you voted for (not even the moderators/administrators). The voting begins right now and ends at midnight UTC (8 PM EDT, 7 PM CDT, 6 PM MDT, 5 PM PDT, AND 2 PM HST) on September 30, 2022. In case of a tie vote, the forum moderators will "Zoom" together in a virtual reality smoke-filled room to sort out the winner.

You can click on any of the images below to see the original post with the full-size images

Bernie_Hrytzak_a.jpgWWWBill_Kimbell_a.jpg

Dave_Landers_a.jpgWWWDavid_Vannier_a.jpg

Doug_Haas_a.jpgWWWEmiliano_Achaval_a.jpg

Gabriel_Hoff_a.jpgWWWGerald_Lawrence_a.jpg

Jonathan_Silwones_a.jpgWWWKeith_Brown_a.jpg

Mark_Wardle_a.jpgWWWMichael_Anderson_a.jpg

Robert_Savit_a.jpgWWWRonald_Giordano_a.jpg

Stewart_Furini_a.jpgWWWSue_Cook_a.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations to Mark Wardle, winner of the September Turning Challenge and thank you Emiliano for creating this great turning challenge. Also, a special thanks to the forum members who participated in the challenge and everybody who voted.

Spoiler alert: The October challenge will be for beginners only (less than two years). Stay tuned for the details later today.

`

Congrats to Mark for the win! This was the largest challenge participation so far with great entries and the most voters. Well done everyone.
Thanks Bernie - there certainly seemed to be a lot of interest in this month's challenge. I think it was a good design brief that a lot of turners could relate to. Great to see so many entries. I am humbled by the win. Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for participating in this challenge. I thought there were a bunch of really great entries. A good design brief too. Well done everyone.

If you would like to see some more of my work and methods, I have a youTube channel called "OfftheGridMakes" - not all wood turning, but there is an extensive woodturning playlist there. I don't make any money out of it (yet) as I don't get enough "watch time" as they say in the YouTube world. I live on a property in Central Victoria Australia that is solely powered by solar. So all my workshop, bandsaw, lathe etc is powered via solar energy - hence the name of the channel.

Here is a link - https://www.youtube.com/c/OfftheGridMakes?app=desktop

If you have some spare web surfing time - I could use the watch hours!

Website
www.stewartfuriniwoodturning.co.uk
Thanks everyone for participating in this challenge. I thought there were a bunch of really great entries. A good design brief too. Well done everyone.

If you would like to see some more of my work and methods, I have a youTube channel called "OfftheGridMakes" - not all wood turning, but there is an extensive woodturning playlist there. I don't make any money out of it (yet) as I don't get enough "watch time" as they say in the YouTube world. I live on a property in Central Victoria Australia that is solely powered by solar. So all my workshop, bandsaw, lathe etc is powered via solar energy - hence the name of the channel.

Here is a link - https://www.youtube.com/c/OfftheGridMakes?app=desktop

If you have some spare web surfing time - I could use the watch hours!
I really enjoyed watching your design series of videos on your channel, Mark - good luck with increasing views!

Back