• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening question

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
A member of my club has a question, perhaps someone here as an answer.

He has Delta Sharpening Center with a white 200 grit vertical high speed stone and a wet 800 grit horizontal slow speed wheel.

He wonders if a commercially made jig for sharpening gouges is available or if one can be adapted for use with the wet horizontal wheel. Or, has anyone built such a jig and would share the info.

I'm a Tormek guy and while I've seen the Delta set up, have no knowledge of it's functionality, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Cape Atlantic Woodturners
http://www.capeatlanticwoodturners.org/

Mike,

If you're talking about turning gouges, I'd rather doubt you're going to get much on this question. I have a horizontal (Combo vertical) grinder, but I'd never use it for turning tools. It's way too slow and not worth the set-up/clean-up mess. For carving gouges and flat iron they're great because you can eliniinate the hollow grind. IMO, useless for turning.

Mark

Back