• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sharpening

Good afternoon
A few yrs ago I was given an 8 piece set of Robert Sorby turning tools. Not until last year did I really start using them and until today I was sharpening by hand. Now I have a whole set up for sharpening and to be perfectly honest I can't for the life of me remember the proper angles for the bowl and spindle gouges. If anyone has that info and could pass it along I would greatly appreciate it. I really don't want to screw my chisels up yet. LOL

I have a couple of sharpening videos up on You Tube.

Kind of generally type thing cause we all are different, and some are more different than others...... Spindle roughing gouge (SRG) generally about 40 to 45 degrees. Scrapers in the 60 to 70 degree range, detail gouges in the 30 to 40 degree range. Skews in the 25 to 30 degree range. Bowl gouges, there are two types, one for outsides and down the walls are generally the 40/40 grind, or in that bevel range, and the swept back and bottom of bowl grinds are in the 60 degree range so you can go through the transition and across the bottom of the bowl. Negative rake scrapers have 2 styles. One is like a skew chisel, so the same bevel on both sides, and they range from about 30/30 to maybe 45/45 max. The 45/45 max is because the burr formation from the grinder is better if you don't exceed 90 degrees combined angle degrees. The other style of NRS is in the 60/30 range, and this one works better if you hone off the burr and then using a carbide burnishing rod, turn a burr on it. This burr is sharper and longer lasting than the grinder burr. Parting tools are in the 40 to 45 degree range, but this is variable also....

robo hippy

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I also have some sharpening videos but dont necessarily discuss angles just how I sharpen and why. Go to YouTube and type on john60lucas/sharpening.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I can't for the life of me remember the proper angles

John Lucas, and Robo Hippy will give some good pointers in establishing your sharpening techniques. At this point, my only input is to suggest that exact angles are not necessary.......close enough is good enough! ;) Some turners spend a great deal of effort in re-creating an exact duplicate of a grind they are shooting for, and it just doesn't make that much difference.....as long as it's close.

I haven't measured any angles since last century, and have accustomed myself to just "eye balling" them. :cool:

-----odie-----

Back