• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Sheldon Gerber

Hello from Ontario Canada!
I started turning Christmas 2019. I have a friend that turned pens which started my interest in turning . One of the reasons I enjoy turning I have spina bifida and and am a paraplegic and it is wood working that I can easily do from my wheelchair. I got a small Mastercraft lathe for Christmas then as a gift, and started turning a few spindles, to just play around and see what I thought. I was hooked. A little bit down the road and I got a four jaw chuck, and did that ever open up the possibilities! Then I started having trouble with my lathe. Turns out it wasn't really designed for turning eight inch hardwood bowls. LOL. Now I have a Nova Saturn which has a rotating headstock and a variable speed DVR motor. I am looking forward to being a part of the forum and learning from others.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Sheldon. We have all probably tried to turn things that were beyond the capability of our lathes when we were first getting started. My first lathe wasn't really meant for bowl turning, but that didn't stop me from trying and learning the hard way. We have a lot of pen turners here who would be very glad to help you with any questions.

Back